The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Gandalf props? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Can someone tell me about props built by Gandalf? Were they all larger stage props and illusions or did they build smaller props also? Any photos around? Thank you!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If it is the person who ran ads in Genii back in the 1970's, much is not known about him. I believe he made a collapsible Zombie gimmick with round tubing, and one other product that escapes me right now. This was all before the Internet. I think he was at one magic convention with a small display, but he was never at his booth, during the whole event, and he was not on any of the shows. I think if I remember correctly, he even used a P.O. Box, which did not help. Just a mystery man as far as I could tell.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Heehee! Right, Bill! I don't remember ever hearing his name!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
After doing some additional research, as it turns out, Gandalf Enterprises was owned by Bob Myers from Pennsylvania.

Does anyone have any photos of Gandalf props?
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Or, a catalog?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If it the person I commented on above. He did not have catalogs offered. He only ran ads in Linking Ring Magazine, this was back in the 1970's as I remember it.

Catalogs was not popular with small cottage magic manufactures. U.F. Grant, Abbott's, Tannen's, Owen Magic, P&L, Hollywood Magic, were the only catalogs available. Most of the time they actually went city to city visiting Magic Stores owners and selling their props.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I'm pretty sure he is the one that built my Leg table.
The old gag where two legs fall off and then the grandma legs appear.

Thanks
TR
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings David;
Sorry for coming into this one so late, but I remember Gandalf magic well.

Bob & Sandy were full time illusionist and toured the Pennsylvania, Maryland,
Delaware and new Jersey area for many years. Bob built all his own props and was
often helped by his uncle who was an expert cabinetmaker. Most of the time having
knowledge in building cabinets does not transfer well into magic props, but Bob &
his uncle made adjustments that produced high quality props and they were built to
last. The one prop that Bob did an excellent job on was the Comedy Legg tables.

If you watch a video of Denny & Lee performing (Of Denny & Lee Magic Shop, MD.)
you will see that Denny always and only used a table built by Bob Myers.

Bob passed away many years back and while there have been many who have built
the legg tables since, the only one I would highly recommend is built by Steve Myers,
(no relation to Bob) out of Baltimore, MD. I have had and used at least 5 different
models over the years, and I would not use any other than Steve's table.

Steve has spent well over 2 years working on and redesigning the Legg Table and
his is by far the best I have ever seen or handled. Even Denny endorses Steve's.

Steve builds these 2 at a time and even includes a custom case for the table. It
is rock solid, and the mechanism and hinges are the best ever used in this style table.
Steve will be putting up a site and will start promoting the tables and his other wood
products sometime early next year, but in the meantime, if you need to get in touch
with him, let me know and I'll give you his e-mail address. Steve can send you pictures
and answer any questions you may have on the table or other props.

Hope that has helped
All the Best
Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Gandalf props? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL