The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spectator involvement in Hanging Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Hi,
I can't find a similar thread although I know this trick has been heavily discussed, but hey it is a classic.
I love the Hanging coins as I find edge grip a beautifully deceptive sleight (I mix in Roth's handling with some of Kainoa's ideas). Rather than the "I take this coin and hang it here...and look it's gone" patter I do try and mix it up (my patter involves budgetting through a month and women making your money disappear!). However it is a very "look at me doing magic" type trick.
I haven't been able to find a way to involve the spectators in the performance of this and so wonder if it loses a lot of impact because of this (even though it goes down well).
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Shanester
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Try assigning the spectator some responsibility. Tell them they have to keep track of the coins in the air and make sure they don't fall. Have them count out loud the number as you do it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Sounds good. I have a small bit of sponge that I use to wipe up the coins, and they hold the sponge for one of the 'wipe ups'. Important to watch out for sexism though.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Thanks for the responses.
Jonathon, I'm not sure I understand your use of the sponge, do they do the wiping for that one or do they just hold it in between times. Are you doing this for a standing or seated crowd? If standing, does this accentuate the fact you are holding your hand in an unnaturally high (ie at eye) level compared with their hand which is holding the sponge?
Sexism is something to be on guard for, but here in the UK we are a little bit less touchy about it (especially if used in the context of "my wife makes my money disappear") and most people see a little bit as acceptable humour.
Cheers
Shanester
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

"do they wipe and hold?"->yes (and yes)
"sitting/standing and hand holding positions"->yes workable in both cases as long as the audience is on ONE level or you avoid cutesy proving displays. Also EG allows hand positions that pass for natural so you are not stuck with your elbows up all the time.
Curtis Kam gets the credit for the ending of this trick, where the three (or four) coins are squeezed from the sponge. It's an eye popper.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Hi Johnathan,
That idea has sparked some interest for me.

Do the coins disapear as they are rubbed? What is the motivation for the rubbing of the coins?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Little bit of sponge can absorb 100 times its weight in silver. One of those things you see advertised on late night tv. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spectator involvement in Hanging Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL