The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card Sword (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Made to Measure Magic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Made to Measure Magic
I have had a Card Sword brought to me for repair. My first reaction was 'piece of cake' but standard cord elastic is just not stretchy enough. Is there a particular brand I should be looking for? Thanks.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Depends on the model and manufacturer. The only one that is a piece of cake is Abbott's model. Others like the Italian model uses weaker heavy covered elastic. The one Stevens Magic sells "Card Sword – Julio Lipan" is very special and can only be gotten through them, check 1st because Lipan is reluctant to supply to them in large quantities.

The tin one from India, not worth fixing, just junk. The plastic one junk as well.

The old one from Sweden, El Duco, you have to contact them. Being El Duco passed away some years back, it may not be available. Hank Lee sold this in the U.S., but he has been out of business for some years. Don't know if he is out of prison as of yet.

The very old P&L version uses the heavier elastic, a little less then 1/8". Should be able to find it, or order it from Abbott's Magic. I use to get it from them for my P&L Card Sword.

I think that covers just about all of them. I know there is one that is made on the eastern side of the world, gold with tassel on the hilt. Beautiful sword.

If you need instruction on how to repair, see the LLepub lecture video by Ted Leslie, Cabaret Magic Vol.2.

http://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=pr......s_id=376
Made to Measure Magic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Made to Measure Magic
This one is Mephisto. The mechanics of replacement are straightforward. The blade unscrews from the handle and the elastic threads through and knots off at each end. The problem I have is finding elastic that is 'stretchy' enough. The best I have only stretches to about 1 and 3/4 times its unstretched length whereas it needs to stretch to more than twice its original length.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Alternate solution: use a strong reel instead of an elastic.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I have a Lipan Sword. The elastic provided only lasted a few performances before it needed to be replaced. It took me an inordinate amount of time to find the proper elastic. But eventually I found some. Unfortunately the fabric store I found it in has since gone out of business. All I can tell you is that is manufactured in Japan. So I suspect if you do a web search for Japan Elastic Cord you should be able to find it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Usually the package that the elastic comes in is labeled with the percentages of rubber in the cord. The higher of course the better.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2018, Made to Measure Magic wrote:
This one is Mephisto. The mechanics of replacement are straightforward. The blade unscrews from the handle and the elastic threads through and knots off at each end. The problem I have is finding elastic that is 'stretchy' enough. The best I have only stretches to about 1 and 3/4 times its unstretched length whereas it needs to stretch to more than twice its original length.

Then contact Mephisto Huis Magic in Belgium, they have been in business before the 1970's, only sold the business once. They are an active magic establishment. Not just a manufacturer.

http://www.mephisto-magic.be/E_frame.htm......ome.html

Without seeing the sword, I cannot help you, I have used elastic from the local fabric store, and they stretch twice the length of the blade.

If you do not or cannot continue, then I would return the sword to the owner and tell him he should have gotten a supply of gimmicks years ago, when he obtained the sword. It is a new world now, and many products that were made 50 or 60 years ago, are not made any longer.

Don't know if the uncovered jewelry elastic will work, it may create to much "drag", but you could buy some from the Hobby Lobby or Jo Ann Fabrics and try it.

It would be nice to know if you are in the U.S. or England, As International Magic use to sell Mephisto products.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Try Shock Cord. It's available from beading supply stores or Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Kourtneys-Crafts-......178NVA50

I haven't tried it myself. But it looks as if it might work.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card Sword (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL