The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is there a Magic Store in Café - new & used? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Hi everyone!
I'm trying to find my way through the labyrinthine channels of Magic Café. Eventually this will all make sense, I'm sure. I would be interested in a "sales" room, if that's available here. Best to all! -Chris
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Chris

There is a "sales" forum and it will "magically" appear when you reach 50 "legitimate" posts. Become involved in the conversations

and be receptive to feedback. There is very good information to be found here...especially from Dick Oslund and Bill Hegbli.

Best of luck

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
EasyK
View Profile
New user
The secret is in one of my
79 Posts

Profile of EasyK
I was also wondering about that.50 posts it is then. Thanks.
'My brain is the key that sets me free.'
- Harry Houdini
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thank you, Mark, for your very kind words!

"Good" questions will generally receive good, helpful answers. --and, fairly quickly!

Questions like: "What's your favorite card trick", or "What's the best gimmick? are generally ignored, by most of the old timers. (IMO).

The very best advice that I could give to someone, seriously interested, would be to buy the "Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic". It's relatively inexpensive and still in print, as far as I know. I believe that most dealers keep it in stock. It was ghost written by the late Walter Gibson, who wrote more magic books than ANYONE I know. The illustrations, are especially excellent, as they are sequential.

Most of my professional show "came" from the "TARBELL COURSE IN MAGIC". It was first published in "lessons", as a correspondence course, in 1927. In 1941, it was "republished" in hard back books. Eventually the course filled seven volumes! It has "survived" and is still in print, after over 90 years!!! The patter and presentations suggested, are somewhat out of date, BUT. the BASIC PRINCIPLES ARE STILL GOOD!!! Doc Tarbell (a naturopathic physician) was an experienced and talented performer, who had toured in CHAUTAUQUA, and was booked by "celebrity" booking offices. He was also a very capable artist. He illustrated the first 6 volumes. Harry Lorayne, wrote, and compiled Volume 7, with contributions from very well qualified magicians! (Harry aint no "slouch" either!) Harry has written a number of books, that are of the same quality as the original Tarbell, or even better!

As noted above, my show, which kept me working for 50 years (I was never at liberty) in schools all over the USA, has its "roots" in Tarbell. (The Wilson CCIM, wasn't published, when I was growing up!!!)

Newcomers will be wise to start with the above BOOKS!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
While I could go on and on and on about my favorite books... I would add that Jim Steinmeyers Conjuring Anthology and Gene Anderson's The Book are 2 must haves for general, stage, parlor, and platform magic.

Also... I didn't know that Walter Gibson wrote the Mark Wilson book... I have some of Gibson's books as well. I'll have to dig them both out and compare sometime. The things you learn!

Back to the original question... when the sales pages appear you will see the various categories. Tricks, Books, Stage Illusions, etc. You can find some pretty good (and rare) items listed from time to time. My library and trick shelf has grown considerably because of the Café and other online exchanges. Really great resource.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I have sold hundreds of props here on the Café, and to my wife's dismay, purchase hundreds more. You will find most of the sellers to be highly trustworthy (there have been some clinkers here and there), and many great deals to be had. Since a lot of the sales are simply by curious hobbyists checking out the latest and greatest prop, most items are practically brand new. Other props have been put in storage and are vintage, but barely used. And sometimes, truly collectable items are put up for sale at much better prices that you will find at auction.

For me, this area proves what a gift this site has been to the community. Even if Steve Brooks just took a small percentage of each sale, he would have made tens of thousands by now.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Thanks go to Boody_Oslund_Thomas_Wizard >> I appreciate your voices! I'm interested in developing a show, and it seems like kid-shows are a natural place to begin. In general, the subject of magic has been a fascination for me, and I have collected a shelf of books over the years (some of the titles are listed here). As odd as it seems, I know that simple (inexpensive) effects/apparatus can make for a good magic show, it's true -- but, as time marches on, new and $$$ improved apparatus/handling is a lot of fun too. So, I'm eager to learn, and eager to learn to create what Darwin Ortiz called a "magical performance" for the audience to enjoy. This feels like the right place for all of the above!

- We'll talk again soon.
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Yup there is a sales forum here. There's also plenty of such groups on Facebook too if you don't want to wait to reach the 50 posts threshold Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is there a Magic Store in Café - new & used? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL