The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Making Sponge Magic More Technical (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I have a set of multiplying sponge balls somewhere in a drawer- good idea.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2004-07-24 22:34, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-04-27 10:25, James Harrison wrote:
I find the Benson Bowl is really a sponge trick taken from putting it into the spectators hands, and just using a bowl, the only difference is you can load something solid in the bowl.

Not knocking the routine, if you are starting out with sponges, the benson bowl routine is great.

But I think the goal with sponges should be in the spectators hand.

Maybe a nice combo of both routines would be nice. With the kicker endings at once, abagel under the bowl and the multiple sponge ending when you ask them to open their hand.

But there I go thinking again. Smile

The Benson Bowl routine as given in Classic Secrets of Magic actually has an "in the spectator's hands" phase. So does the version Don Alan marketed.

The biggest advantage of the Benson Bowl routine is that it allows the sponges to play for a larger group.

BTW, regarding a quest for more technical sponge material -- try applying coin sleights to sponges. And then ask yourself, do you need more technical work or more original thinking?

Come up with new endings for your routines and new routines for your endings.

When you are at the point that your work is becoming boring to you, you are actually only at the end of the first phase of learning it. Practice until it becomes boring. Then practice until it becomes beautiful.

Bill,

This reminds me of the grueling training Al Schneider used to great effect in his early limited participation seminars.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Bill said:
Practice until it becomes boring. Then practice until it becomes beautiful.

This, to me is sage advise.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Making Sponge Magic More Technical (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL