The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The irony of working hard to make something appear easy (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
A few months ago I had a thunderbolt hit me on an ACAAN idea. The more I got into it, the more work it created. The end result that I forsee is: I place a deck of cards on a table. Ask the spectator for a card and number. They count down themselves and there it is. I want it to look that easy. What I realized is unless I am willing to compromise the easier I want it to look, the more work is in it for me. I still have made a ton of progress and am excited about it. However, the work to get every possible scenario is literally draining. The irony that months of work already and months of work to come is simply to make something look the opposite---easy.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Brehaut:

Glad to read that you are paying the price in the pursuit of excellence. You inspire me.

However, don't make it look TOO easy. Mentalism can be more credible when we are perceived to be struggling some.

George
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Gabi Pareras had an extensive discussion about the issue, how the best swimmers seem to swim without effort while the bad ones are all over the place. Or a ballet dancer... only the ones that have put the hard work can make it look effortless. He had some quote about the princess of elegancy only surrenders to those who kill the dragon of hard work, or something on that line, wish I could find it Smile
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Quote:
On May 13, 2018, marc_carrion wrote:
some quote about the princess of elegancy only surrenders to those who kill the dragon of hard work, or something on that line, wish I could find it Smile

Hi, Marc.

It is very likely that Gabi used that sentence, the quote is by Arturo de Ascanio (vol 1, pg 70, spanish edition).

... and I completely agree on that, only the best can make the difficult to look simple.
So much to do, so little time . . .
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Gracias Malagueño Smile

"[..] sucede a menudo que la sencillez, como la princesita del cuento, solo se rinde quienes vencieron al dragon de la dificultad" La Magia de Ascanio - vol 1, pg 70.

something like: as it often happens, simplicity, like the princess on the tale, only surrenders to those who defeated the dragon of difficulty...
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
"Make the difficult habitual
the habitual easy
and the easy beautiful"

Konstantín Stanislavski

It is always our duty to create apparently effortless performances. People don't care how difficult is our inner reality of methods and subtleties. Our outer reality of performance should also feels like a flowing feather.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, Amirá wrote:
the habitual easy
and the easy beautiful"

Konstantín Stanislavski

It is always our duty to create apparently effortless performances. People don't care how difficult is our inner reality of methods and subtleties. Our outer reality of performance should also feels like a flowing feather.

Not sure that I agree with that. If you're playin it 'real', then achieving every effect with ease can lend itself to your audience perceiving it all as a trick. Showing some difficulty in trying to ascertain the thought/thoughts - would add more to your claims, IMO.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Depends on the claims being presented and how it's scripted.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
You have the option of making something appear extraordinarily difficult. I like doing that with easy tricks.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Quote:
the habitual easy
and the easy beautiful"

Konstantín Stanislavski

Not sure that I agree with that. If you're playin it 'real', then achieving every effect with ease can lend itself to your audience perceiving it all as a trick. Showing some difficulty in trying to ascertain the thought/thoughts - would add more to your claims, IMO.

I agree with you completely and I understand your point, but that "difficulty" should only needs to be from your experience as performer from pure drama, and not lack of competence and technique mastery.
Sometimes as we know with some methods (those that relies on memory for example) we can offer that real mental effort in the outer reality as if it is realistic effort, but as soon as you lose the pace of the performance by poor practice and rehearse, that is plain bad practice.

Everything should be felt simple, even if it is hard, and as Ben said, even the most easy basic method can be beautiful.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Berglas talked a lot about going to so much trouble that no one would consider it was an option just to perform a "trick". This advise has guided me quite a bit.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
the habitual easy
and the easy beautiful"

Konstantín Stanislavski

Well said Pablo. If more performers studied acting and stage craft the art would be so much better.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The irony of working hard to make something appear easy (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL