The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Doctor Zomba's Ghost Show (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

professortango
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of professortango
So there's an interesting concept for a show at the Hollywood Fringe Festival, an old fashioned ghost show. It is presented as a piece of 50's era camp with magic tricks, sexy dancing, a thin plot, and a blackout sequence. Unfortunately, the only magic which ties in with the ghost show concept is a very poor handling of the Spirit Slates and a hilariously bad (unintentionally) cabinet illusion which is supposed to represent Dracula's coffin.

I was wondering if any other LA area magicians had caught this Ghost Show.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That sounds like a heck of a lot of fun!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Is this the same guy that sold cool stuff on ebay???? Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
professortango
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of professortango
I doubt it Slim King. This sounds like a writer who enjoyed the idea of Ghost Shows and decided to write one himself and have fellow actors perform in it. I'm not sure if any of the people know magic, but it appeared like someone pointed them in the direction of a few self-working tricks.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Doing a ghost show right is a very challenging thing.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'll bet if you put a few hundred people in a COMPLETELY DARK ROOM for 10 minutes .. They'd go NUTS!!!!!! With a little help... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
tomewilson
View Profile
New user
Merchantville, NJ
2 Posts

Profile of tomewilson
I just produced one last Saturday and there wasn't a dry seat left in the house Smile

It's not too hard to produce a classic spook show. Getting a cheer at the end is the most difficult part.

The trick I used is to go into it spooky, then lean hard into the campiness of it all. That way, you give the audience a hot and cold shower of "creepy" and "something to clap about."

-Tome
tomewilson
View Profile
New user
Merchantville, NJ
2 Posts

Profile of tomewilson
Then again, Todd is the king of spook shows right now, so I bow to your experience, good sir.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Doctor Zomba's Ghost Show (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL