The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Magic at Work. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
247 Posts

Profile of gocall911
I have a part time job aside from my magic and the last few weeks I have been opening up and showing some magic to my co workers. I do not go into long routines I only do a short 30 sec to 1 min effect and I only do one effect maybe twice in a day (not every day mind you). Another note I don't do this when everyone is busy I wait tell a time when some one has time to spere. Every once in a while I will go into a longer routine at lunch when every one is off the clock. Well today I was informed my boss was complaning and told me I could no longer preform any magic when I was on the clock or anyone else was. I have been a hard worker ever since I started there and have even done more then I should at times (staying after work off the clock to help someone). So now I am geting *^&% for do a short trick to chear up a co-worker? I find this very unfare since many others goof off and talk for 10 to 15 mins. I could be like them but instead I have been a model employe and this is what happens for me shearing what I love. My boss is a &%^ and treats many others not on his good side this way. Not only that but me and one other person have been fused at for laughing and being to happy on the job! I have to say I have been pushed around one to many times here and I cant keep a job where they don't even want employes happy. By the way this is not a high paying job and so it is about a penny worth of time (for both me and the other person) each time I do an effect. I am thinking about walking in and offering him a penny back for every time I do a trick(or did a trick in this case).

Sorry about that rant but I am just really *&^%ed over this and so were some people I work with. I also wanted to here if anyone else had events like this (or good events) magic related that happened to them at work?

Thanks for letting me vent,

Caleb
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
I understand why you are mad but whether you are working for a dime per hour or $200,000, your boss is paying you and doesn't want people goofing off when they should be working. If I were the boss, I wouldn't stop someone from doing a trick, as long as it wasn't more than a minute or so, but your boss isn't paying you to do magic for your friends, so you have to do what he says. If you still want to do magic and your boss won't let you, you could still do it when you are done working. I'm sure they wouldn't mind seeing some magic then. If you really want, you could try showing your boss a trick or two, and see if you can convince him to give you a minute per day to do magic, to make everyone happier and work harder.
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
247 Posts

Profile of gocall911
Thanks for responding I agree 100%! I would never go behind his back and do what he told me not too and I understand his side but the thing that bugs me is alot of people get away with wasting 15 mins or more. Also I always thought that if you were happy where you worked not only would you enjoy work more and work harder but it would also make the people who come into the store want to come back. It's not just the magic thing that gets me its the fact that he does'nt seem to want anyone happy even if it costs him nothing. I almost find it funny that we got in trouble for being too happy on the job, because we were working at the same rate as before only alot happier about it. Well I guess there will always be people who can't stand others being happy I guess the best thing I can do is pray for him and try and explane my way of thinking to him.

Ok how about we talk about something more happy now. LOL! The other day after lunch (where I had just preformed my newest effect), I was asked how I did it and I told the girl I could tell her but then I would have to kill her. She told me that was fine as long as she found out how it was done before she died. I don't think I have ever seen someone in so much shock as her that day.

I'm off to bed but I can't wait to see what other comments and other storys I have waiting for me later.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I feel for you. I work in a factory, but my boss is totally different.

I know it must be horribly frustrating for you, but I don't understand why he would have a problem with you doing it on your lunch hour. That part really sucks.

My boss saw me do the quarter bite once, and he went nuts for months. He would call me aside and put me in front of co workers and special plant guests and say "You got a quarter? Wait till you see what Doug does with it! Doug, show them the quarter trick!!!"

For months, I literally had to walk around with my folding quarter in position for easy access, because I never knew when he was going to accost me!

Then the plant manager, whenever we have special visitors come, such as the company president, would always say to me "Hey, Doug. Do you have a quick trick in your pocket that you can show so and so?" That always makes me feel good. However, I still try to avoid doing tricks while I'm on the clock as much as possible, because that is not what I am being paid for.
Somw would even go so far as to say that is "stealing", but I won't comment on that.

But friend, I really feel your pain and frustration. All I can tell you is to hang in there. Maybe you'll find that proverbial silver lining.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
247 Posts

Profile of gocall911
Thank you for chearing me up. I don't know about you but I am one of those people who feel goofing off while on the clock is stealing. that's why I have never done more then a quick trick and never anything even close to what I have paid back by missing breaks and working after I'm off the clock. I plan on have a talk explaning my side of the story to the boss but with the kind of guy he is it may put me out of a job. The good thing is though that this is a job I don't need at this point so either way I will hopefully end up with a better working place (magic or no magic). My boss just never seems happy and seems to look down on everyone no matter what they do (good or bad). Ol well, it will all work out, besides with the way my magic is going I will soon be being paid well over twice as much as I am now and will be doing what I love.

Thanks again for chearing me up!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I try, If you ever need anyone to talk at, just give me a ring!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Magic at Work. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL