The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New to Illusions..Please help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
All right, I'm thinking about getting into illusions and I have a few questions for you experienced guys out there. I have always done a dove act and smaller stuff, but I have been wanting to get into the bigger things lately.

I was thinking about getting a Dekolta Chair and or a Stage Vanish Cape. I know I need bases with these things, but I am stuck with what kind of base I should get and where I should get it. Any thoughts or ideas?
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
Dear Dovemagic9,

You might be better to look at illusions that are more versatile and easier to play anywhere. The DeKolta Chair is an incredible illusion but the magic is done in seconds and you must be in somewhat of a proper theatre to make it work. You need extra helpers to take the prop offstage after the effect is done and you need curtains, wings or backstage to enable your assistant to get out from her hiding space away from the audience's view.

You might be better to look at illusions that are able to be performed in every situation, indoors, outdoors, and with people sitting all around. Some illusions that might work are Sub Trunk, Zig Zag (still a tremendously powerful illusion), Sword Box, Mini Cube Zag and possibly Assistants Revenge.

This may seem a little too "clasic" for your liking but I learned a long time ago that props become classics for a reason...

Murray
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
I totally agree with Murray. It is best to purchase illusions that are versatile and that you can incorporate slowly. The illusions that he mentioned are classics for a reason - they continue to entertain audiences under almost any circumstances!
When buying illusions, I will pass on advice that George Goebel of Baltimore gave me years ago:
Buy quality instead of quantity.
Pay extra for large, quality casters that will roll on any stage surface.
Protect your illusions with ATA cases. Illusions are usually damaged in transit, not in performance.
Before you make any purchases, check with those who know.
Hope this helps.
Lou
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Lou and Murray, thanks very much for the advice. I will continue to look around and see what I can find that might be a little more versatile. You are right; the more I thought about it, the more I realized how difficult it would be to make the dekolta chair work in most places. I will check out some of the the more "classic" illusions.

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
clubber89
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of clubber89
If you were looking into building illusions in the future, I would recommend Paul Osborne's Illusion Systems books (I have #1, and 4) they are great.. Or Rand Woodbury's videos and books!!

Good price, good quality Smile
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Check out some books like:
Illusion Show-Know How By Ken Griffin
Device and Illusion by Jim Steinmeyer
Illusion Building by Dick Gustafson
These can help give you an idea of the practical side and the performance side of choosing the right illusion for you to start with.

Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New to Illusions..Please help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL