The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Strange Thoughts... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2018, Mike Gainor wrote:
Feel free to share your strange thoughts on this thread.

My Strange Thought: How big would cats (house cats) need to be before they tried to eat us?

I mean, you could trust a dog as they demonstrate love and loyalty but cats seem only to tolerate us as bringers of food. I'm not talking about tigers or lions, though for the sake of this ST they could get to that size but I don't correlate tigers/lions to large house cats.

Their natural instinct to pounce and swat would become an issue as they grow larger - though I suspect they would play with us a bit (for entertainment purposes) before eating half of us and leave our remnants on the floor...

I've seen this comedy routine and it is hack. Cats don't eat babies or sleeping tots. House Cats, like horses, are domesticated and don't generally harm humans regardless of size.
If we were the size of mice we would have been unable to domestic them in the first place.

When younger we had a cat that constantly hid...we never saw the thing. So my mother gave it away to a couple she knew. One night the husband woke up to find the cat on top of him biting his neck...enough to draw blood. He flung the cat across the room. The cat bounced off the wall and ran out of the room. They closed the door, and the next day it went to the pound.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Strange Thought #5

If there were ongoing solar flares which causes a world wide EMP (knocking out the grid,internet,and e-commerce) for the next 5 years(flares subside). What would you do?

So no credit cards, no access to the ATM, a car that wont start (unless it is really old), clogged highways, no phones, TV, or radio.

That 50 mile commute to work makes for a long walk home.
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
Strange Thought #5

If there were ongoing solar flares which causes a world wide EMP (knocking out the grid,internet,and e-commerce) for the next 5 years(flares subside). What would you do?

So no credit cards, no access to the ATM, a car that wont start (unless it is really old), clogged highways, no phones, TV, or radio.

That 50 mile commute to work makes for a long walk home.

There’s a story called “The Waveries,” which I found in a book called; “Invaders of Earth.” The Waveries are electrical creatures that eat electrical fields. Once they get here, anything requiring electricity simply stops working! Man is forced into an 18th Century lifestyle!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 30, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
There’s a story called “The Waveries,” which I found in a book called; “Invaders of Earth.” The Waveries are electrical creatures that eat electrical fields. Once they get here, anything requiring electricity simply stops working! Man is forced into an 18th Century lifestyle!

I read a book called "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen, which has a similar situation I stated before. I didn't care much for the story due to the dispelled belief required with shaky science, and the perspective of someone who was at home, had the resources, and preexisting authority. A little to much of being led by the nose for my taste.

Disasters rarely come at convenient times or locations. Since I work outside the country a lot I had a 'Strange Thoughts' of what would I do? Not able to call anyone and being separated by thousands of miles(and an ocean) would make it very difficult to say the least. Also, at the same time all of the other foreign nationals attempting to do the same while civilization slowly falls apart.

So, even my original example of being 50 miles from your home would prove a challenge as well. The nature of humanity being what it is what kind of short term / long term plans would you make?
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Asimov mentioned that he didn’t care for “The Waveries,” because it glossed over the obvious upheaval and devastation caused by removing electricity en made like that.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

It is more true now than in the past. Just look how dependent people are with their smartphones. Most people don't even keep a vegetable garden anymore.

Communities are not as cohesive as they once were as well. Very few know the names of their neighbors or share any community trust.

No news may be good news may have been true in the good old days but no information today leads to speculation... all of it bad.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think “The Waveries” was written in the forties, the hero is a jingle writer for a radio station and there’s no reference to television. You’re right, today, the world would burn!
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

That's interesting. In the 1940's losing electricity would not be such a huge fall for civilization.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
January, 1945.

Here’s the entire thing;

http://www.you-books.com/book/F-Brown/The-Waveries
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:

It is more true now than in the past. Just look how dependent people are with their smartphones. Most people don't even keep a vegetable garden anymore.

Communities are not as cohesive as they once were as well. Very few know the names of their neighbors or share any community trust.

No news may be good news may have been true in the good old days but no information today leads to speculation... all of it bad.

Good points. Consider how much more time people spend looking at a screen than interacting with other humans.

There are significant mental health repercussions for this. We evolved to depend on face-to-face social interaction and relationships.

I observe I'm now very reluctant to call friends and family to talk because I don't want to interrupt them - because they are so "busy"
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Quote:
January, 1945.

Here’s the entire thing;

Thanks for the link. Interesting read (short story for those of you who may wish to check it out)

It was written in the 1940's (1945) and has that Guy's and Doll's feel about it. The real interesting thing is that it was being written about the future (1977), but people were still Guy's and Doll's. You see this in a lot of future stories. Lots of new technology, but basically the same speech patterns we use 'today'.

Makes me think back on Back to the Future with their prediction of life 30 years later. Where's my self drying suit?

The only thing I didn't like about the story is that we (as humans) took it on the chin from the 'vaders, rolled over an embraced our new and improved (old) lifestyle. Points for the Government taking control of essential resources but I don't see that flying today.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 31, 2019, Roberto Juan wrote:
Good points. Consider how much more time people spend looking at a screen than interacting with other humans.

There are significant mental health repercussions for this. We evolved to depend on face-to-face social interaction and relationships.

I observe I'm now very reluctant to call friends and family to talk because I don't want to interrupt them - because they are so "busy"

... and parents continue to buy them for their (young) kids. I guess it counts as quality time.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
Quote:
January, 1945.

Here’s the entire thing;

Thanks for the link. Interesting read (short story for those of you who may wish to check it out)

It was written in the 1940's (1945) and has that Guy's and Doll's feel about it. The real interesting thing is that it was being written about the future (1977), but people were still Guy's and Doll's. You see this in a lot of future stories. Lots of new technology, but basically the same speech patterns we use 'today'.

Makes me think back on Back to the Future with their prediction of life 30 years later. Where's my self drying suit?

The only thing I didn't like about the story is that we (as humans) took it on the chin from the 'vaders, rolled over an embraced our new and improved (old) lifestyle. Points for the Government taking control of essential resources but I don't see that flying today.

I agree with you on the response to the invasion. I believe there’d be a lot more pain and suffering and not more than one farmer maybe not so willing to just turn over his horses “for the effort!”

I have my own fan theory on “Back To The Future.” The reason we don’t have the 2015 shown in the 2nd movie is specifically because Marty avoided the accident! In some “butterfly wings” way, Marty’s accident led technological advances to the future we then see.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Strange Thoughts #6: If you Pre-Order something that will most likely disappoint you and you end up being disappointed; am I allowed to make fun of you?

I never understood the attraction of pre-orders. Especially of an unknown.

Exception apply; such as books of a author with good records, but any unvetted items is too far akin to a jam auction.

Would a truth in advertising require the sales pitch to read:
"Pre-order for your junk drawer while supplies last!" ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Strange Thoughts... (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL