The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Help identifying a gimmick (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Hi, I came across a 'gimmick' but I have no idea how it was used. Can someone help me identify it?

It's a bunch of pennies glued together to a piece of plastic. The plastic on the back behaves like a little pouch (ie. you can keep things in the pouch but from the top it looks like a bunch of pennies. The bag that it came on also had a bunch of dimes (loose, not glued). One idea is that they can be used as the sands of the desert, but with coins, they are all mixed, but you can separate the pennies from the dimes... maybe? If you know the routine that used this gimmick (or a similar one) can you point me to the right resource to look it up?

Thanks!

Marc
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I think I saw this at Tannen's about 40 years ago. The pouch is filled with dimes. You display the gimmick on your open palm with a couple of other coins--quarters, nickels, dimes, maybe a loose penny or two--on top, to give the appearance that all the coins are separate. You remove those loose coins leaving only the dime-loaded gimmick. You pretend to dump the "pennies" into your other hand, but retain it in FP, dumping only the dimes, which the spectators hear, but do not see. When you open your hand, it appears that the pennies have changed to dimes.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Ray's right. PM'ing you the details. It's too good to share openly. Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
That is nice
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Thanks Inigmntoya, I contacted the source you sent me. I think the DVD is not longer available, but the author is working with me on it Smile

Thanks!
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I got one of these around 1975. Mine has a little cloth bag. If I recall, the presentation involved reaching into your pocket and coming out with the penny gimmick with two or three loose pennies on top of it. So, you could remove a couple of pennies as if there were a couple too many and then do the dump into the other hand.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I think is a Steve Dusheck effect, I have one, and it is a copper colored cloth bag the pennies are attached to. Just a quick effect that is fun to perform.

Ther is no where go point, it was separate close-up effect sold in the 1970's, and no longer available. It came with printed instructions and line drawings.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Thanks Bill, it is in fact Steve's effect. Inigmntoya sent me the details. It is fact in one of his videos (available now in DVD) but not longer available. Unfortunately Steve had to deal with some flooding on his shop, but he was going to try to send me the instructions.

Thanks for the help!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Help identifying a gimmick (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL