The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » School me on the practicality of IT/IET/ITR (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
I've always really liked the idea of IT, but never really could grasp it for a practical use. To me, it would require too much setup to do in a performance, or walking around with it on all day is bound for breaking.

But I don't really know much about ITR's, or IET. The big ITR is the Tarantula 2, right? What about IET or loops? How practical do ITR's make IT magic? Thanks for any help you can give. Smile
Markus_M
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Markus_M
Hm, tricky to answer without revealing to much.
The difference between IT and IET should be in the name. Loops are... well IET with knotted ends. Thin rubber bands if you wish. An ITR just applies constant tension to the thread.
Setup isn't that much of a hassle and done correctly it won't break.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'big' regarding the Tarantula but if it's in reference to size ... Then ,no.
A good place to learn more about all that is Ammar's "Easy to master thread miracles".

I hope this gives you at least an idea,
Markus.
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
^ Thanks for the reply! By "big" referring to the Tarantula, I just meant the biggest or at least one of the biggest names in IT tech. How does a reel/tarantula compare to Steve Fearson's Master Levitation System? Or are they to be used together? Further, what are the benefits of elastic loops compared to normal IT/ITR? And what are the benefits of a tarantula compared to a typical mechanic reel?
Markus_M
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Markus_M
Ok, got'ya!
Yes there is a lot of word going around of the Tarantula.
While I, for obvious reasons, can't tell you what or what not might work with Fearson's hookup I can go a bit deeper on the characteristics of the individual bits. But then again, we both aren't that far away from 50 posts, right?
So, first to the types of threads.
As the names imply, IT is just a very thin thread. Same mechanical features as magicians rope. Just a piece of thread. Although not as easy to see.
Elastic thread on the other hand is nothing more than very rubberband (although not made of rubber). You can stretch it to a multitude of it's initial length and when the force is released it will snap back to it's initial position.

No put some of those** in a reel and you have a device, which will apply a constant force to the thread. Which means, if you apply one end of the tread to object (or hold it between your fingers) the piece of thread between that anchor and the reel will be held in a constant state of tension. If you let go of the end, the thread will be "sucked up" by the reel. Now ITRs always apply such force (although I believe I've seen lockable ones).
The Tarantula goes a bit further by letting you control, when that force is applied.

Again, I can't tell you for what the individual types are used but, from reading your other stuff on the board, I think you should have a bit of an idea, what's going on. Just so much: Far more than just "make things fly".

Have fun thinking Smile,
Markus

**BTW I am not aware of ITRs that use IET. But don't quote me on that because it's been a few days since I dabbled in that area.
Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
50 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
Halloween is right around the corner - Haunted Deck, fits in... just saying.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thing is, Jim, Haunted Deck does not use IT or IET. And yeah, IET in an ITR does not make sense. I seem to have owned every ITR made. I HATE them! Pain in the A** in every way. I use Steve Fearson's system exclusively. His Master Levitation System covers it all. When he was in Ft Myers, we worked on the "Poor Man's ITR", a 2 inch brass ring. I am also a BIG fan of Thread Bullets. I have collected THOUSANDS of feet of IT...every usable color and type. I have Kevlar, Woolly Nylon Serging Thread, Vectra, Paul Hass "blue", Vectra X2 and Vectra Virtuoso. I only use the Virtuoso and Vectra now. With JoeJoe's original Web Spinner, I am completely set.

I haven't performed in a couple years. When I did, I'd carry woolly on a pencil as a back up. My Royal Blue stuff. The Vectra has never let me down. I have stayed way from Loops and IET. Not because it's not GOOD. It's just another avenue. I am so steeped in IT...it's hard to do anything else. With all the ITRs out there, Tarantula and Spider pen, I believe it's money wasted. Toys for magicians. The Old School woolly and scotch tape worked for me for YEARS. After spending HUNDREDS of $$$ on ITR crap, I came back to the Old School way. I like simple. The less work (hassle) the better.

The Haunted Deck is done without the need for IT. Think Rising Card sideways. Again OLD School! I think Greater Magic is where I learned that.

Doug
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2018, Dougini wrote:
Thing is, Jim, Haunted Deck does not use IT or IET. And yeah, IET in an ITR does not make sense. I seem to have owned every ITR made. I HATE them! Pain in the A** in every way. I use Steve Fearson's system exclusively. His Master Levitation System covers it all. When he was in Ft Myers, we worked on the "Poor Man's ITR", a 2 inch brass ring. I am also a BIG fan of Thread Bullets. I have collected THOUSANDS of feet of IT...every usable color and type. I have Kevlar, Woolly Nylon Serging Thread, Vectra, Paul Hass "blue", Vectra X2 and Vectra Virtuoso. I only use the Virtuoso and Vectra now. With JoeJoe's original Web Spinner, I am completely set.

I haven't performed in a couple years. When I did, I'd carry woolly on a pencil as a back up. My Royal Blue stuff. The Vectra has never let me down. I have stayed way from Loops and IET. Not because it's not GOOD. It's just another avenue. I am so steeped in IT...it's hard to do anything else. With all the ITRs out there, Tarantula and Spider pen, I believe it's money wasted. Toys for magicians. The Old School woolly and scotch tape worked for me for YEARS. After spending HUNDREDS of $$$ on ITR crap, I came back to the Old School way. I like simple. The less work (hassle) the better.

The Haunted Deck is done without the need for IT. Think Rising Card sideways. Again OLD School! I think Greater Magic is where I learned that.

Doug

How do you think the MLS holds up (as in, staying set up and not breaking) during walk-around? I don't know all the details on MLS so I don't know what pre-performance looks like.
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
If its not against forum rules, I think I'll start a similar thread... in the Banquet hall as I just unlocked 50 posts (woohoo!). That way we don't have to get so close to revealing our wizardry.
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Hey Will you in eastern NC? I'm a world away in western NC how are you holding up?
I suggest that you get a hold of the amazing joejoe, he is from SC and has as much real working wisdom in the art of IT as anyone
he is on here or facebook. pm me for further detail if you would like...
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2018, Magic_son wrote:
Hey Will you in eastern NC? I'm a world away in western NC how are you holding up?
I suggest that you get a hold of the amazing joejoe, he is from SC and has as much real working wisdom in the art of IT as anyone
he is on here or facebook. pm me for further detail if you would like...
Thanks for the suggestion! Joejoe and I have talked a little bit in the off-topic forum about Hurricane Florence. I'll ask him, thanks! Smile
David_MacFarlane
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of David_MacFarlane
Who was it, who famously said of thread, "How else?" That for me is the biggest problem with thread, that you really need to prove that it's not thread, which is tough, cause it is.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2018, will lane wrote:

How do you think the MLS holds up (as in, staying set up and not breaking) during walk-around? I don't know all the details on MLS so I don't know what pre-performance looks like.

I wrote that I use the Fearson System exclusively. That is not entirely true. I have a few "tools" in addition. Sometimes, woolly on a pencil is all I need. Other times, I'm "loaded to the gills". Breakage is a big problem. Walkaround, I find myself constantly excusing myself to reload. Plus, now I find that IT is better known to the lay public than when I started. So just floating something willy-nilly is not recommended. You can thank the Mall kiosks for that. IT is not recommended for buskers in Las Vegas for just that reason.

For walkaround, I would like something robust and dependable, if I was working. IT and IET are NOT dependable! So many times...I learned the hard way. Sometimes, simple is better. When you are a pro, you want NO slip ups. IT was a nightmare for me. The flashing. They people I was performing for, could not see it. The people BEHIND them COULD! Oops. No control. You don't want the people you just performed for, to see you from an angle that exposes it. That goes for other tricks besides IT.

Doug
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
For as "Known" as IT is, Joe Joe does a wonderful job floating bills while busking at Myrtle Beach over and over throughout the day and evening.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
That is true, Poof. Then again, JoeJoe has STYLE. A seasoned pro. Someone who is just starting out has to realize, just "floating" something is FAR different from a complete act. And a showman like JoeJoe is rare. I've never seen anyone do the things with IT JoeJoe has. Also busking at Myrtle Beach over and over really takes talent and nerve! A tremendous achievement! Ya know, it's hard to watch JoeJoe and not want to copy him. And that I definitely caution against!

Doug
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2018, David_MacFarlane wrote:
Who was it, who famously said of thread, "How else?" That for me is the biggest problem with thread, that you really need to prove that it's not thread, which is tough, cause it is.

That would be Carl Ballantine.
https://youtu.be/95MxMHQxhuo

Micke J
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
gismo
View Profile
New user
Germany
60 Posts

Profile of gismo
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
For as "Known" as IT is, Joe Joe does a wonderful job floating bills while busking at Myrtle Beach over and over throughout the day and evening.

Here is Joe Joe's website with his invention 'Super Spinner'

http://magicjoint.com/pages/levitations/super-spinner
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No matter which product you use, it will take many hours to get the feel of working with IT. It is some you have to develop a sense of touch to get comfortable with.

You should also find a good hand lotion that will help with snagging because of rough and dry hands. Always wash your hands before trying to work with IT. IT is very fragile and one little raised piece of dry skin can destroy the illusion attempting to be created.

Buy a big sheet of white poster board, and a good light source, to be able to set up your IT.
FasciN8
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FasciN8
Well after using the first gen tarantula years ago, I finally bit the bullet and bought the pen. I will most likely be using vectra x2 in the spools. If only there were a ring that could do this as (ironically) my favorite thing to float are rings. I'm going to be a levitating fool
I have had the pen for a few weeks and love it except it is the worst pen I have ever owned as it does not write without the tip falling off! I had to tape the tip on to stay. This is due to the aluminum casing on the main unit and plastic threading on the tip or pen part. Very bad pen, extremely awesome electric reel! the only complaint I would have is that when making a bill or paper fall to the ground sometimes the motor stops and I look like an idiot waving my hand above a dollar on the ground. Of course, it will start back up with a tug so you must pinch the IT and give it a yank before the motor will kick back on. I also have the venom en route. I like the spools and have learned how to wind up my own IT, so a few spools should last a long long time. Due to the nature of this pen you are limited to the applications and need an anchor point, but that's why I have a venom on the way so those pesky spectators that try to wave a hand in your path can't find anything.
MateosSpain
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of MateosSpain
If you want to be cheap go for the old nylon and ear hook up
But in practical terms the Venom and loops are really amazing
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » School me on the practicality of IT/IET/ITR (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL