The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Piece to camera (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
After practicing my swanky new card routine (a macabre ambitious card varient I call "Sibling Rivalry") in front of mirrors and friends, I decided to have a go at doing it all in front of a camera. Gosh, I think I've happened upon my next big challenge.

Every aspect, from keeping a flowing routine (I have this one scripted anyway because it tells a set story, but keeping the mood and bringing in the spectator is a big part), to finding the ideal camera range and lighting so as to keep all my movements in frame while still keeping it possible to see what the cards are, turned out to be a totally new experience. All of which technical concerns do little to aid the bizarre feeling of performing for a little black lens and a video monitor in an empty room.

I now want to get a good version of this footage down more than ever, because now it feels even more like a challenge. I certainly have a new respect for television performers in general.

Does anyone have any good articles they could point me towards about this sort of thing? Another thought that occurs to me is, would using a table force me to keep the cards in shot? The way I visualise the routine is more with me seated in an armchair in "Dr. Terror's House of Horror" stylee, but particuarly when I fan out the cards to show the camera I have a tendency to drop them out of shot. I don't want to just film my hands, this a performance, not a demo, and the storytelling is as much a part of it as the card handling. I'd like to keep a static camera shot if possible (it gives it a more personal feel, reduces the suspicion of camera trickery and prevents good takes from being ruined by rotten zooms and camera handling), but will rethink this where neccesary.

Any advice much appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Piece to camera (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL