The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Cutting woman in half with rope (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I have been asked to cut a woman in half at a show. I'm primarily a close up magician but I also do Linking Rings, Fiber Optics, Newspaper tear, and a few other things that work on stage.

I am familiar with ways to make a rope appear to pass through a volunteer. I know how to do it with two ropes or with one. In both routines you need a little something to hold the ropes in place before they are pulled tight.

I think these are generic enough that you can PM me some helpful information. As I said I know the mechanics but I'm not sure about the best way to hold the ropes in place. In the two rope version you could use a piece of thread but I'm not sure what is used in the one rope version.

If you have any suggestions of a routine I can purchase that would do the job I would appreciate that too.

Here is someone doing the one rope version

One rope version
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
The link shows a 2 rope version, not a one rope.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Oops, you're right. I found a few and forgot where I was. I know in the two rope version you could start with a loop of thread that would break when you pull hard. But then you couldn't have the ropes freely handled before the effect.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
That video link to the two rope version was one of the poorest performances I've seen in a while.

This effect can be made to play very large. While the methodology for any of the rope thru bodies is simplicity in itself the routine doesn't have to be bland and boring.

U.F Grant published a one rope version where there was no tie or gimmick to the rope at all. It was simply wrapped around a audience member (woman) and having two men (the bigger the better) up, one one each side of the woman, each with an end of the rope. count of three and pull hard! Viola! the rope passes harmlessly through the spectator.

Supreme magic sold a similar trick that used a simple gimmick to do the Grandmother's Necklace link but using one rope. they called it Through the Eye of a Needle. The premise was that the rope around a spectator was threaded through a large wooden cut out of a sewing needle, The rope had metal cups threaded onto it and a silk handkerchief or two tied to the rope. Again two big men from the audience, each to a side pulled the rope. The rope passed through the woman spectator, passed through the eye of the needle, causing the metal cups to crash together to crash together with the handkerchiefs left dangling from the rope.

Since you know the methodologies build a big show piece. It will make you act look all the largest. Put it in the middle of your show and use three spectators. The lady to be cut in half and two men that are big an burley (if there are any at the function).

This can really be the epitome of "packs small and plays big!"
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Rubber band used for braces. The little ones.... Better than thread.

Hudson
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2018, 55Hudson wrote:
Rubber band used for braces. The little ones.... Better than thread.

Hudson

Wow

Great idea!! Thanks for passing along that gem. I've been using my practice thread for gypsy thread, looks like I'll be

switching to rubber bands for braces!

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
“ I have been asked to cut a woman in half at a show“

Does a rope penetration of this kind really fulfil the brief? Does anyone really get the illusion of a person being cut in half?

Personally I don’t think so unless something else is added into the presentation to apparently effect the cutting through. The ropes passing through would then act to demonstrate the body has been cut in half rather than being the means by which the body is cut through.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Sealegs,

I agree completely. The client has asked for a certain person to be cut in half. My first inclination was to just say, I don't do that. However when I thought about it the idea of a rope version seemed like it might fit the bill and be well within my wheelhouse. I'm guessing he just wants her to be involved. I'll meet with the client and pitch it to him.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Instead of cutting, how about an illusionette that should satisfy the client. A little seen effect that uses spectators from the audience and can be enhanced by the presentation of the performer.

It is called, "My lady steps out" from Abbott's Magic.

Take a look, it may fit your needs and reasonably priced. Just add the price of the prop to your fee to the client.
https://www.abbottmagic.com/My-Lady-Step......eout.htm
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2018, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Oops, you're right. I found a few and forgot where I was. I know in the two rope version you could start with a loop of thread that would break when you pull hard. But then you couldn't have the ropes freely handled before the effect.

Your correct, you can't hand out the 2 ropes, but all you have to do is hold the center of the ropes and have the gentlemen tug and pull on the ends. Then have them release the ends and in the process of positioning the lady, just drop one rope and cross it over to the other side, then proceed with instructing the girl.

There is a gimmick that the late Sam Berland used, it can be obtained at any hardware store. If you believe you have to have the rope pulled while around the lady.

Here is Viking's version of Walking through a ribbon: https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/walk......-design/
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
There are ways to completely avoid the use of thread.

One is to use a rod (referred to as a rope & post). If the object is made part of the presentation, it won't be suspected. That "rod" could even be the spectators hands (you wrap the rope around their wrists)

If you have The encyclopedia of Rope, I can give you some page numbers

You could look at The Great Coat escape (in Wilson's Complete course) for ways to handle the threaded method, or Daryls Rope DVD's has a handling to avoid the thread, but otherwise the same method.

There are also gimmick-less ways to pass a single rope through any object
- if tied it in a loop, it is easily accomplished (I'm assuming you saw this as a kid), but you would need to stand behind the spec.

- if you want to use some rings as part of the presentation, see Cyro's Super-Duper Rope Trick
(also in The Ency. of Rope.
- if no loop/single rope:
Ribbonifty (you would need to stand behind the victi.. I mean assistant)

Chapter 8 of the Ency of Rope is full of such penetrations - one stop shopping

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Mike...I remembered a "walking thru a ribbon" that Gen Grant sold about 50 years ago. I also remembered making one up then. It never got into the act. This week I dug into my instruction files at my storage facility, and, found the original instructions. If you're still interested, PM me your mailing address, and, I'll entrust them to the Post Office!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Walking through a ribbon...... Sawing a person in half.

I still say these don’t equate to the same thing for the lay audience or indeed any individual who has requested to see a sawing in half.

Of course it could be that the client just wants someone to be involved with the proceedings and that suggesting, ‘Sawing in Half’, is their way of expressing this. Establishing whether or not this is the case might save you a lot of trouble and expense and allow you to satisfy the client without you having to look to perform stuff you’re not familiar with.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
On two rope version, use cut down pipe cleaner not thread. Hand out ropes separately for examination. Retrieve them and hold by center over pipe cleaner. One twist does job and this movement is imperceptible.

But an even better option is a jigsaw Visible Sawing. They can often be picked up for a couple hundred if one looks around. They can play really big.
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Frank, I was reading this post and you read my mind! the sawing thru table top version is my go to effect when I'm asked to saw someone in half....
But with that said, Mike I've been doing the rope thru person for years at birthday shows calling it "Rope thru dad" it gets the parent involved and the kids excited etc...
It the same grandma's necklace deal but the ropes are shown and examined, as I'm positioning the volunteer I just twits the ropes ends and cross them so I can just put a the centers looped into each other, I then tuck that in the back pocket of the Dad ( too close and personal for Rope thru Mom.....) and then tie the end around the body and have the kids ready to pull each side and have the rope slice thru Dad. leaving the ropes knotted in front of the volunteer.
Its just manipulation of the ropes while working to position the volunteer/helpers. Plays about 7-10 min depending on the Dad......
Bruce
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Why not put the ropes into his back waist line? That could be more centered.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Yup the waist band is best to center the rope and if no pocket is there I will do that but the way the world works now the pocket will do fine.....
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, FrankFindley wrote:
On two rope version, use cut down pipe cleaner not thread. Hand out ropes separately for examination. Retrieve them and hold by center over pipe cleaner. One twist does job and this movement is imperceptible.

But an even better option is a jigsaw Visible Sawing. They can often be picked up for a couple hundred if one looks around. They can play really big.

I’ve done this routine using thread but liove this idea!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Cutting woman in half with rope (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL