The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching a 5-year old a magic trick (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
So had a mom request I teach her 5-year old a magic trick at the end of the party. She said he's very interested in magic and really wants to learn a trick or two. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about the egg vase or something self working.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Try looking for a trick inside a dollar store. You will be able to find easy to do tricks for a low fee.
gismo
View Profile
New user
Germany
60 Posts

Profile of gismo
My very first trick was a coin vanish (knotted on rubber band, up the sleeve)
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Egg vase is good Also coin slide and zig zag rope.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Jumping rubber band.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I've tried teaching magic to my kids, currently ages 4 and 6. The absolute BEST piece of magic for them that I have found is a coin slide. This comes standard in a lot of magic kits. We actually got one as a prize at Chuck E. Cheese once. It's the plastic sleeve with an insert where you place a quarter in the insert, put it in the sleeve, and the quarter vanishes. The secret has to do with how you put the insert in. There's a little pin inside the slides a secret compartment over, and then if you turn the insert around the other way to put it back in it slides the compartment back to it's starting position. I'm sure you all know exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyway - this trick is fantastic for kids. For this age group you do NOT need to hide the fact that you're turning it. In fact, so that they can learn it, you should emphasize it. Put the sleeve in, pull it out and the coin is gone. Make a big thing about turning it around and putting it back in. Take it out and the coin is back. For kids, this whole thing is super magical, though completely self working.

I realize that this post is probably a too late for the original poster, but hopefully it's helpful for someone else in the future Smile
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Thanks TKD27 for the information. I did already perform the gig and went with teaching him the ball vase and disappearing card box. He loved the tricks, but for the most part went around showing folks how his new tricks worked. The concept of not exposing the magic just didn't seem to sink in. The important thing is that the parents were happy and so was the birthday child. The coin slide for a first magic trick is a great idea. It's hard to mess up and easy to do.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Mind Reading Fish / Fortune Telling Fish

Two Card Monte

Coin Slide
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
Put some coloured tape (or dry erase marker) on the end of each forefinger - then do "Two little birdies sitting on a wall" until they finally figure it out. I tried it at a child's birthday party and was surprised at how well it went down - almost every child wanted to perform it.
danieltirado
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of danieltirado
Mine is just 1 year old, but I am planning to tech him since very little age, and maybe do 2 people telephaty coding stuff together when he grows up a little...
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
I agree that a coin slide is a great trick for young kids to learn.

Also a Magic Dragon Mystery Box https://www.amazon.com/Loftus-Internatio......006GKB8E

And Buddha Papers

kcbeave
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
Kids that age love the zig zag rope and it's so easy they can do it almost immediately
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Not a good idea. Kids that young don’t understand it’s a trick and think it’s actially magic. Read some Silly Billy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching a 5-year old a magic trick (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL