The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Passing water - again (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Hi all
Just to let you know I finally managed to find a supplier of Kovari's passing water - which proved much more difficult than I first thought as Kovari doesn't have any left and it will not be made again as he is trying to sell the business. I got it from http://www.melsmagic.com - now I don't know if he can get any more and also he, as yet, has been unable to get the comedy drill. Also I got stung with a HUGE customs bill. Smile But I'm sure it will be worth it!

Going back to the prop itself, I'm sure some of you will probably think it maybe unsuitable to use the comedy drill in a kids performance - and as I don't have it any way - has any body got any ideas of some other "magical" way I can make the holes through the volunteer? Does anybody else use a different routine from the rather obvious one supplied?

Thanks
Mark
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I use a comedy drill in a routine sometimes (not this routine). I bought a kids toy plastic drill at a dollar store. When you squeeze the trigger, the bit spins. All manual mechanism, not batteries. It is bright colours, and obviously a fake. When I pull it out, I comment about Tim Taylor, and do the "tool man grunt". Arh! Arh! Arh!

- Donald. Smile
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Instead of using a drill you could use two black holes made out of tape, pretend to make "magic holes" with your wand on your volunteer and attach the tape holes, when done you can peel them off and talk about how these magic holes can only be used once then they disappear(use thumb tip to vanish them)
Greg
ps, before you do the water thing you could do a brain floss effect were it will look like a string or rope is going thru the body and you can slide it back and forth like floss just to prove the hole really go thru, you could say your cleaning the path way!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
dominicc
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of dominicc
I'm sorry to bring up an old post, however I'm very interested in this illusion.

Is someone able to explain the difference between the effect here; http://www.kovarimagic.com/Catalogue/Wor......d_3.html

and here; http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=3388

Or are they exactly the same?

Thanks,

Dom.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
They're exactly the same, however there seems to be some difference in price. When I first posted this I believe Kovari was very ill and I think there was some doubt as to whether he was going to continue with his business which was why, at the time, it was difficult to get hold of.

Mark
dominicc
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of dominicc
Ok, thanks for the help. The difference in price was what got me wondering...
Is there a video of this anywhere online by the way?

Dom.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
As Mark has said, several years ago George Kovari had a heart attack, on stage in the middle of his illusion show. At the time it was not thought he would ever work again. Thankfully, George made the most remarkable recovery. He regained his movement and dexterity and locomotion and his speech returned and he and his business has moved forward. It was good to see an old and delightful friend back in harness.

His complete range is here http://www.kovarimagic.com/index.html

and this includes the fake drill referred to, available on its own.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I use Abbott's comedy ice pick to "Make the hole" in the body. Not everyone's style, but it works for me!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Julie Carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
Watford
139 Posts

Profile of Julie Carpenter
I don't know if he has any youtube clips of it, but the best routine Ive seen for this belongs to Andy Clockwise.
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
I use the ice pic as well. I tried the toy drill and the kids freaked out on me. But they seem to have no trouble with the ice pic figure that our.
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2011-02-06 17:15, zimsalabim wrote:
I tried the toy drill and the kids freaked out on me.

Yes, I found that as well. I stopped using the drill years ago. I may look into the comedy ice pick...

Mark
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I'm glad this thread is about magic as I was initially concerned for your urethra.
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Mark. I used a magic wand when I did it. I pocked it into the hole and pushed. The wand went up my sleeve, but if you hold the end and push and pull it does look liemthe wand is going in and making a hole.
Hope that helps
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
Remember a trick called "HOT SPOT" a block where you push a wand through a hole in it it gets shorter but does not come out the other end? Think about that in conjunction with this Smile I just thought of that while reading this thread again.
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I still use the comedy drill, the kids can see it's a toy, only 3-year-olds seem to be scared by it, and I don't use it for kids that young.
I'm often surprised how even adults are fooled by the method. It's always seemed a bit obvious to me. the routine is great comedy, though vastly overused unfortunately.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Both Steve Price and Dennis Clark (London UK)use the drill. Great for gentle comedy, the entertainment is key rather than the "magic". Especially the look on the helpers face when they hear but can't see the drill.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Passing water - again (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL