The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Having trouble with a false overhand shuffle (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Https://youtu.be/dnWgIpPvv3A
Hey EERichards, Biz (Bizau Cristian) created a tutorial (above) that addresses exactly this problem of “deck creep”!

If you combine Biz’s enhanced teaching techniques (he is GOOD at teaching) with Aleko Barbakadze’s (youtube: Tricklandia) casual handling (it looks excellent) https://youtu.be/QxhqcJ9WzCk I’m sure you’ll get this false shuffle down in no time.

Also, PM me, I might be of help.

PS If anyone else has any tips or info (what is this shuffle actually called?) for mastering the shuffle that we’re seeing in these two videos, please chime in. For example, sometimes I have trouble with cards slipping out of the packets as I shuffle and I’m trying to solve that. Thank you.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2018, JasonEngland wrote:
That full-deck overhand false shuffle described in the original post by EERichards can be found in APOCALYPSE Vol. 7, No. 5 (May, 1984). It was credited to Pascal Monmoine, but has also been attributed to Alex Elmsley, who published it in his ALEX IS AT IT AGAIN (1997) lecture notes. Alex claimed he'd been doing the move since the 50s. For years this was all the information I had on it, but then Ricky Smith discovered it even earlier: There is a description in the Tom Munroe Parade in Linking Ring Vol. 29, No. 1; March 1949 Pg. 49. It is called, "An Easy False Shuffle". Was it around before that? Probably, but for now Munroe gets credit as the originator.

It was also a favorite false shuffle of the late, great Ricky Jay. He does it in a number of his television appearances.

Jason

Magic1 -

Aren't those videos what Jason England has already mentioned earlier? I haven't thoroughly watched the videos, but the basic premise seems to be identical with (maybe) a few minor differences. Or am I confused? My apologies if I'm wrong.

Edit: For the record, I own the Apocalypse series...but have not thoroughly watched the video links provided.

AsL
EERichards
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of EERichards
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2018, magicfish wrote:

Find a good book. Slow things down. Read through with cards in hand. Practice. Bring it up to speed.

Well that's the problem. I found the shuffle in a video (I don't know if it is considered bad form on the Café forums here to link to videos exposing secrets or sleights so I didn't link it), and I really like it but I don't know what it's called and haven't been able to find it in print anywhere.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Having trouble with a false overhand shuffle (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL