The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge Ball and TT (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I have recently became interested in a routine by Roger Klause called New Sponge and Sleeve. This routine involves putting and removing a sponge ball
several times from a TT. I am using a standard size thumb tip and a 1.5 inch Goshman Super Soft ball. Problem I am having is once I get the ball in the TT
it is very difficult to remove. If I keep the ball between the thumb and side of the tip, then everything barely fits, or sometimes part of the ball is seen
hanging just outside the TT.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Walking Bob in Iowa
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Because thumbs vary so much this is something I think you have to work out for yourself. Plastic thumb tips can be resized with hot water.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
What you need is a magic tt that turns inside out into a sponge ball.
if not then, cut the opening of the tt down, put a little slit on the bottom inner side, so you can grab the sponge ball better.

or else invent a TT with a hinge on it, that immediately releases its load and recloses eheh.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3510 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Can a sanada gimmick be substituted for the tt?
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
W a sanada, you would have to reappear the ball from somewhere other than in their sleeve. So a TT would be the ideal choice. unless someone has a better idea
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I can see where the very old "Elusion Vanish" for a silk can be employed with sponge balls. (Burling Hull)

In this way, a small ball easily inserted and removed from the TT can mask the production and vanish of a much larger ball, or many balls.

To clarify. The left hand apparently produces a ball from somewhere with only a small portion seen at the fingertips.
The right hand reaches over and "takes" the ball to rest large on the right palm in display as the left hand is casually shown empty.
The large ball is apparently dropped into a basket while the large ball is compressed/palmed.
Then the process is repeated as desired.

or, the large a ball is apparently placed in the left hand with a part still visible. With attention on the left fingers the large/palmed ball is ditched.
Then the ball is vanished in a very visual way - the solitary left fist closes and reopens with nothing.

Obviously, the compression feature of the balls should never be revealed/exposed
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2018, Wravyn wrote:
Can a sanada gimmick be substituted for the tt?

That sounds like a great idea! But could you close your fingertips far enough to handle the spongeball naturally? I've never owned an SG.
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Check out Steve Valentine's Castle Lecture DVD. He has a great handling for the sponge ball and TT routine involving two vanishes and two appearances. That routine alone makes the DVD worth it and all the other material is killer as well. Highly recommended if you're a fan of Klause's routine.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Cut a small triangle on the bottom side of the thumb tip, only about 3/4” or 1” and that will give you the ability to pull It out of the thumb tip and still use it. But it will essentially make your thumb tip only be good for sponges.

This is only good with a vinyl thumb tip.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Another option is to try different diameters of tips. From what I remember, Bob Little, as well as Daytona Magic, carry a variety in sizes. I used a standard Vernet, but it took a great deal of work to master the Klause routine.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Hollow out the sponge ball to make it easier to collapse inside the TT, and then make sure it collapses along the rear edge of the TT (even with a tiny bit of it sticking out over the edge) so you can pull it back out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge Ball and TT (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL