The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » ITR REPAIR (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

uncx
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of uncx
I've been using an itr routine for many years, floating a bill. I find a cheap $ 1.39 one seems to work better for me than the expensive one from the master, James George. Yeah, I know...sacrilege. Occasionally I have to repair one, and I can do that, except when I break the twisted motor loops at the ends. What do you call the stretchy elastic cord that does the work, and where can I get it? I'm pretty sure a sewing elastic thread would not be what I need...

Actually, at $1.39 I could just chuck it out. I'd rather just experiment with tension.

Magic Grandpa
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I have heard from people who make their own It, that they use black wooly nylon thread. They buy it from a sewing store and then strip out the individual strands. It seems like a lot of work. Steve Fearson makes Vectra thread that works really well. I prefer to use this for my ITR. It costs more than $1.39, though.
uncx
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of uncx
Your is a good one! I do rewind my ITRs using wooly nylon as the IT. Love it. What I need tho, is the motive power ("rubber bands") to turn the reel for the retract. I don't even know that you call that elastic , as is really not rubber.

Reloading the reels for the spider pen and Tarantula is a cinch...no little hole to have to go through! Just empty the fouled up reel using a pointy X-Acto knife to cut the thread, Stick the end on the top of the reel with a bit of wax, and use the motor to wind the IT off a playing card and onto the reel. About a 2 minute job, and a LOT cheaper that buying new loaded reels!.

I am thinking about making a thin slot with a Zona saw from the end of the clear plastic tube to the hole in the center on an internal drum reel to just slide the thread into where the hole is. As a ferrule, I could use James George's idea of a bead to keep the thread from going back into the slot, and also making for a smoother action. Could be attached with Mesika Wax ( hard) or a little cellulose nitrate glue.

Anyway, my big problem at the moment is finding elastic for the twisted "rubber" bands. Really thin stuff.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
If you will invest in an Alpha reel it will be the last reel you ever buy. I've been using mine for 6 years. You don't have to make a slot for the thread, the thread is completely exposed in the middle. If the thread breaks, you just pinch the reel and pull it out. I went through hundreds of dollars and frustration with reels before buying the Alpha.
uncx
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of uncx
The Alpha reel sounds great! I cannot picture the center feature...never saw one. I may start saving up for one.
MateosSpain
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of MateosSpain
The venom ITR is pretty cool its easy to change the elastic and the I.T. and if it breaks is 30 seconds of repair, its insanely easier
Drylid
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, TX
107 Posts

Profile of Drylid
Stay away from venom reel. The made in china ones work better. I went they 2 sets of them breaking.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Steve Fearson's Cobra Reel has good reviews...

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » ITR REPAIR (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL