The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Drawer box plans (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I'm thinking of getting into building some small wooden props. I have a wood shop with all the standard equipment. I have a dovetail jig for making drawers and boxes. I was thinking a drawer box would be a good first project. I would like to make one about the size of a shoebox. Does anyone know where I could get plans for something like this?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If you know how they work, you shouldn't need plans, as you can draw up your own based on the size you need. One tip... Start with the outer case and work your way in. It's easier to cut pieces that fit if you are making them fit INTO something, rather than AROUND something.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
Thanks for the information. I have a basic idea of how the drawer box works. A flap comes down pushing whatever is in the drawer to the back. I don't know how the flap is engaged.I have one of the little plastic ones that you can use to vanish a coin or dollar bill. You tilt it to one side to make it engage. I'm really very new to wood working. I have inherited a fully equipped woodshop from my father in law. I want to learn how to use the equipment. If I had a set of plans, it would be invaluable. My goal is to learn how to use the equipment while making some magic props. I know my first attempts will probably leave a little to be desired, but that's ok.
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
239 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
All the "plans" for magic props I've seen are not what a woodworker would consider plans: no materials list, no dimensions, no cutlist, no assembly instructions. The "plans" consists of one or two line drawings and a brief description of how it works. You are basically on your own.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2019, carbone1853 wrote:
All the "plans" for magic props I've seen are not what a woodworker would consider plans: no materials list, no dimensions, no cutlist, no assembly instructions. The "plans" consists of one or two line drawings and a brief description of how it works. You are basically on your own.

In most cases this is true. One of the only comprehensive publications that show all that would be this...

https://www.lybrary.com/magic-handbook-s......487.html

No drawer box, but a book worth owning.

Anyone wanting to build small props would do well to first learn how to build a basic box. It's what I do for a living.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Michael, I totally agree. I've learned far more from books and mags on woodworking than I ever learned from magic books. And I've been doing it for a long time too. It's the "pride in workmanship" mentality that sets your work, and a few others' work, apart.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
239 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
Michael,

I'll check out that book!
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
I'd like to know something about the drawer box tricks I see advertised in magic stores. Does the drawer only pull out part of the way or can it be pulled out completely?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
That all depends on which TYPE of Drawer box you build.
juggler357
View Profile
New user
AUS
83 Posts

Profile of juggler357
Thank you for the link Michael, what a great resource!
Once is entertainment, twice is education.
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
I made my own version of Clarence Miller's drawer box for a deck of playing cards.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=26

I am able to hold the box upright without losing anything, remove the drawer completely, and also move the drawer in and out as many times as I want and have the deck appear at the moment I choose.
jdub
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jdub
Very nice lnlver! Clarence's card box is one of my favorite items of his. Anytime I see a drawer box with a drawer that cannot be removed, it reminds me of the plastic ones I got from magic sets as a kid. When I first saw Clarence's version I thought it was a nicer version of those, until the drawer was removed...I was blown away.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
If you can find it- "MAGIC Handbook" published by Science and Mechanics Pub. Co... I have the 1962, edition. Has Mt'l. list - measurements - diagrams - etc. For over 20 Parlor/Stage effects. I made the 'Knife Box Illusion'-see head in box,close doors,7 knifes in, open doors, knifes there-no head. Mt'ls cost me about $15. /sold for $350. Saw one listed on google - ? wanted $40. for it (1962 $1.50 ? soft cover -Popular Mechanics style Magazine) -- Helps ??
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Note; be sure its the one published by Science and Mechanics Pub. Co. - 1962 Edition - Cover Picture "THE KNIFE BOX" and ?? - Oh - the cost was .75 cents. Wife and I were traveling as asst. to Ken & Roberta Illusion Show,1962. When Ken saw it, he blew his stack. I didn't blame him. Did enjoy the book. and still have it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Drawer box plans (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL