The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pendulum and Eye Movement? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shoreline99
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Shoreline99
Recently, I noticed, I think the pendulum is linked with subject's eye movements. The subject that pendulum is difficult to move can easily shake if you move your eyes sideways. Do you know what to call this phenomenon? According to my research, there was a similar description in McGill's The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism, but I would like to explain scientifically.

Thanks
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Unless I'm missing something, McGill's "Ideomotor Method" is just a variation on the classic eye fixation ("swinging watch") induction.

Barry
Shoreline99
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Shoreline99
The similar description referred to The "Pendulum Over Spiral" Method in Chapter 25. Does not this have anything to do with eye movements?

Thanks
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Ah, I see what you mean. He refers to "spiral fixation" in his final notes, so I think it's really still a variation on the eye fixation induction, but with added suggestion to make the pendulum move.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying that you follow the pendulum with your eyes and they will start to respond?

A few things I find work well. First, if they are trying to control their arm so it can't move, it won't. You want them to relax the muscles in their arm while holding the pendulum.
Second, they need to understand the if it's not responding the onus is on them. They are the one making the contact.
Third, Have them, either out loud or in their minds, ask the crystal or pendulum bob to spin.

Check out Stuart Palm's Beginner Pendulum Magic.

I love pendulums!
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I just ask them to look at the bob and then imagine it moving in a direction to indicate YES. Then it does...
I've asked to be banned
Shoreline99
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Shoreline99
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2019, mindmagic wrote:
Ah, I see what you mean. He refers to "spiral fixation" in his final notes, so I think it's really still a variation on the eye fixation induction, but with added suggestion to make the pendulum move.

What do you mean "his final notes?" It means an afterword?
Shoreline99
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Shoreline99
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2019, Matt Pulsar wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying that you follow the pendulum with your eyes and they will start to respond?

A few things I find work well. First, if they are trying to control their arm so it can't move, it won't. You want them to relax the muscles in their arm while holding the pendulum.
Second, they need to understand the if it's not responding the onus is on them. They are the one making the contact.
Third, Have them, either out loud or in their minds, ask the crystal or pendulum bob to spin.

Check out Stuart Palm's Beginner Pendulum Magic.

I love pendulums!

That's right. I'm sorry I didn't make it clear enough. Well, this is just my hypothesis though.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have had blind people use a pendulum effectively, and prompts like musicals notes and finger directions.

Yes, I think that eye movements can be used to influence the behavior of a pendulum, but hardly that they are necessary or predictable or best choice.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Shoreline99
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Shoreline99
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2019, funsway wrote:
I have had blind people use a pendulum effectively, and prompts like musicals notes and finger directions.

Yes, I think that eye movements can be used to influence the behavior of a pendulum, but hardly that they are necessary or predictable or best choice.

I appreciate you doing it.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2019, Shoreline99 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2019, mindmagic wrote:

What do you mean "his final notes?" It means an afterword?

The first paragraph of the "Note to Hypnotist" at the end of the piece, p.144.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Wouldn't any subliminal influence help to create the ideomotor response desired?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Probably...... it should.
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Interesting thoughts on eye movement
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pendulum and Eye Movement? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL