The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Anomaly by Michael Scanzello (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
Video review: https://youtu.be/wnbnenaOF3A

Thanks for the review!
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

Profile of notasperfectasyou
I love this trick. I am a beginner that likes to do magic for my friends. So, what I really like is that this is effectively an easy trick I can do, and I get a big reaction to it. At least that is the theory. Most tricks I have bought challenge me a bit on the mechanics and I learn the initial patter from the presentation videos and work into my own patter as I get comfortable doing the trick for my friends.

Michael does an exceptional job showing the mechanics of the trick and talking about little nuances that are good to know, I feel good about doing all the handlings to pull off the ace to four kings. I am here to ask for help on the patter. I wish the video had a solid 5 minutes on talking my way through the trick, an initial patter to learn. The videos longest presentation sequence is filmed in a way that it is very hard to hear Michael. As a beginner, I am kind of lost on what to say and how, at least to start out, saying it. I have tried selling this as . . . . I am going to swap a card into your hand, or I am going to ask you to think of one of the kings but do not tell me, or would not it be cool if I could take the ace of out your hand without you knowing. It would help if there was an initial proven script in the video.

It has gone badly the few times I have shown a friend. I do not feel like I have a coherent story to tell. So, I am hoping that coming here and asking . . . . . please does anyone have a good sequence to a patter for Anomaly that they could share with me, I would really appreciate it.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Notasperfect may I ask how old you are and what you think did not go well. I have been doing magic for friends in school since jr. high and now do magic for friends as a 60year old adult.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Notasperfect may I ask how old you are and what you think did not go well. I have been doing magic for friends in school since jr. high and now do magic for friends as a 60year old adult.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
In a trick like this you want to distract from what may be the obvious climax of the trick and from the fact that the audience may be tempted to look at their cars too early if your presentation is “guilty”. You want to distract from the fact there will be magic going on until the last minute. you could talk about the value of kings and aces in poker. Ask the spectator a question. Would 1 ace bear 4 kings. Anything to make them think
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Also reach out to Michael, he seems like a nice guy
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 18, 2020, Xcath1 wrote:
In a trick like this you want to distract from what may be the obvious climax of the trick and from the fact that the audience may be tempted to look at their cars too early if your presentation is “guilty”. You want to distract from the fact there will be magic going on until the last minute. you could talk about the value of kings and aces in poker. Ask the spectator a question. Would 1 ace bear 4 kings. Anything to make them think

Thanks Xcath1! I started doing magic in high school and pretty much spent the last 40 years doing Out Of This World for all my family and friends, I am very comfortable doing OOTW. So now I want to learn new things and I have some money to spend buying stuff like this. The problem with not telling folks I'm doing a magic trick is most all the time it starts out, "Hey Ken we loved that Magic trick you did last time ......." Part of the patter problem I am having is that I do not want to tell folks there is going to be a switch, because then they are going to be burning my hands. So, I am looking for a good story to tell as I talk my way through the trick. When you say, reach out to Michael, how do I do that? Is Michael here?!?!?!?

DO you do this trick and what is the story you tell when you perform it?
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I feel your pain. Actually in the last 3 or 4 years I have Mostly stopped doing magic for friends and family for sort of these reasons. I am now semi pro but I also do less magic. The magical experience that came from my friend asking “do I have any new tricks” just wasn’t doing it for me. But being honest that’s all most of us hobbyists have”. I think for F and F you are better of with longer form tricks where there is more of a story inherent in the trick. John Brannon and Simon Arronson have many no slight tricks that are very clever. You are correct that with a quickie like this it’s hard to hide where it’s going. If you are not familiar with Dr Daley’s last trick, google it. It is also a simple transposition bu with I gaffed cards and a story about the weight of the different colors to hid a little bit where it’s going. I think Michael has posted I the thread and you can PM him or he might have a social media presence where you can find him.
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

Quote:
I feel your pain. Actually in the last 3 or 4 years I have Mostly stopped doing magic for friends and family for sort of these reasons. I am now semi pro but I also do less magic. The magical experience that came from my friend asking “do I have any new tricks” just wasn’t doing it for me. But being honest that’s all most of us hobbyists have”. I think for F and F you are better of with longer form tricks where there is more of a story inherent in the trick. John Brannon and Simon Arronson have many no slight tricks that are very clever. You are correct that with a quickie like this it’s hard to hide where it’s going. If you are not familiar with Dr Daley’s last trick, google it. It is also a simple transposition bu with I gaffed cards and a story about the weight of the different colors to hid a little bit where it’s going. I think Michael has posted I the thread and you can PM him or he might have a social media presence where you can find him.

I'm actually enjoying doing tricks for F&F, I'm not trying to get good enough to have an act, but would like to be able to string a series of tricks together in a logical way. I'm a beginner going through rediscovery. I realized I had a problem at an office party a few years ago when I put one deck of cards away and pulled out a different deck to do a second trick. Some coworkers, said, "why not use the same deck?" Which is incentive enough to want to learn more about magic. So this is a hobby, but even with a hobby, I want to be good at it. I don't know enough to know if the duration of the trick is the problem I'm having. I just feel that I need a solid patter that makes sense to get started.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Let me show you a poker trick 4 kings and an ace that’s a pretty good hand. No this is sort of a trick question but if you had just the ace and Inhad the Kings who would have a winning hand, exactly, abracadabra, how about now.
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2020, notasperfectasyou wrote:
I love this trick. I am a beginner that likes to do magic for my friends. So, what I really like is that this is effectively an easy trick I can do, and I get a big reaction to it. At least that is the theory. Most tricks I have bought challenge me a bit on the mechanics and I learn the initial patter from the presentation videos and work into my own patter as I get comfortable doing the trick for my friends.

Michael does an exceptional job showing the mechanics of the trick and talking about little nuances that are good to know, I feel good about doing all the handlings to pull off the ace to four kings. I am here to ask for help on the patter. I wish the video had a solid 5 minutes on talking my way through the trick, an initial patter to learn. The videos longest presentation sequence is filmed in a way that it is very hard to hear Michael. As a beginner, I am kind of lost on what to say and how, at least to start out, saying it. I have tried selling this as . . . . I am going to swap a card into your hand, or I am going to ask you to think of one of the kings but do not tell me, or would not it be cool if I could take the ace of out your hand without you knowing. It would help if there was an initial proven script in the video.

It has gone badly the few times I have shown a friend. I do not feel like I have a coherent story to tell. So, I am hoping that coming here and asking . . . . . please does anyone have a good sequence to a patter for Anomaly that they could share with me, I would really appreciate it.

I recommend you get the below. You will thank me later Smile
I've learned a lot from these. It will elevate your magic and you will be able to do so much more.

https://bigblindmedia.com/products/essen......64&_ss=r
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
This looks like a great packet trick to carry in the wallet ...
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

Quote:
Let me show you a poker trick 4 kings and an ace that’s a pretty good hand. No this is sort of a trick question but if you had just the ace and Inhad the Kings who would have a winning hand, exactly, abracadabra, how about now.

Thanks Xcath, Can we brain storm this idea? I honestly didn't like the idea so much yesterday, but today I've morphed it into, something that starts out, "are you good at poker? Would you like me to show you how to win at poker....." What do you think of that, how would you fine tune something like that?
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

So, I've been working with the poker patter idea. I appreciate it. What I run into is having an explanation for what is happening when I show the kings. It kind of brings us back to what Michael does suggesting that he'll swap one of the kings for the ace, which doesn't really relate to poker.
Honest Deception Mike
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Honest Deception Mike
Hi notasperfectasyou,
I believe I just replied to your email
Hope that helped. For the script I used to say something like, "if we were playing cut to the high card. You would win right? In poker though I have the kings that beats an ace high. I want you to win." Then I do the magic to show the kings turn into the ace, the helpers ends with the kings. I like how I set the spectator up to win most gambling theme routines have the helper lose. Let me know if that makes sense. I would try not to say, "You have the ace" after the switch. Anything a magician says lay people will question, especially with a facedown card. Just have the person confirm he would beat your king in cut to the high card.
Michael Scanzello

Check out "Insidious" CSB with a NEW killer ending!

See trailers here: http://murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=55048
Available at your Favorite Murphy's Magic Dealer

"Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen." --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 23, 2020, Honest Deception Mike wrote:
Hi notasperfectasyou,
I believe I just replied to your email
Hope that helped. For the script I used to say something like, "if we were playing cut to the high card. You would win right? In poker though I have the kings that beats an ace high. I want you to win." Then I do the magic to show the kings turn into the ace, the helpers ends with the kings. I like how I set the spectator up to win most gambling theme routines have the helper lose. Let me know if that makes sense. I would try not to say, "You have the ace" after the switch. Anything a magician says lay people will question, especially with a facedown card. Just have the person confirm he would beat your king in cut to the high card.

Hi Mike, I really appreciate the reply and I have been working on this. I don't get much time to work on magic, so the 5 times I've performed this with friends is a lot in the last month or so. I've started looking at their hands. Telling them they have very interesting hands, that some people have a lot of gaps when they put their hands together and others have a lot less room to work with. This may feel like I'm talking about a switch, but it's more vague and then I start waving the kings around their hands like I'm looking for a way to get in there. I ask them or each person in the group to think but not say one of the kings as I'm showing them the kings I'm holding. And then when I fold the kings over, I motion my hands around the spectators hands and ask them to say which King they are thinking of. Then I say it is done, I now have the Ace, so let's see if I got the King's switched .....

I'm still working with this, but this seems to be working. The other thing I'm noticing is the reaction is proportional to the number of people I'm performing for. I'm not entirely comfortable yet, but working to get there. Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate being able to reflect on this with you and everyone here.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
All magic tends to be proportional to the size of the group. That’s hard if you mostly perform for friends one on on but true. One person is sort of looking for the method but a group is sit of looking for fun. Also the group is sort of as good as the best spectator in the group. They elevate the fun for everyone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Anomaly by Michael Scanzello (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL