The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do magic books have indices? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Dear Magicians,

I've been surprised to discover that most magic books don't have indices -- a nearly indispensable part of nearly any book of any length. At least I *think* I'm right about this; I don't have an enormous library, but it's big enough that I suspect I have a representative sample. The books of Henry Hay and Roberto Giobbi are notable exceptions, and there are others, but even the beautifully written, illustrated, and produced books of Richard Kaufman don't have indices. At least I don't think they do. After devoting much thought to this important issue, I've come up with four possible explanations of this strange phenomenon.

1. There really is such a thing as magic, and the indices are invisible. It takes years of practice to learn the spells, and intone them properly, to make an index visible.

2. There's no such thing as magic, but the books have read themselves and have learned how to palm their indices.

3. The indices will appear when you've worked hard enough to deserve them.

4. Magic books are OSS (Oh So Secret or Office of Strategic Services -- take your pick) that even their purchasers aren't meant to find anything in them.

Life is full of mystery.

With best wishes to all,

Bob
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
A 5th explanation is that the reader is a magician schooled in directed focus and misdirection and would not believe the index if offered.

This desired balance of expectation and surprised is enhanced by spending an hour studying an effect description only to find
that it uses a sleight not explained in that book or clothing not in my closet or gimmicks not in my budget,

I would love an index at the beginning of each description specifying the requirements before I decide to explore -
and the two pages of credits and historical minutia in an Appendix should I care to look.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The seven volumes of TARBELL are indexed.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2019, funsway wrote:
A 5th explanation is that the reader is a magician schooled in directed focus and misdirection and would not believe the index if offered.

This desired balance of expectation and surprised is enhanced by spending an hour studying an effect description only to find
that it uses a sleight not explained in that book or clothing not in my closet or gimmicks not in my budget,

I would love an index at the beginning of each description specifying the requirements before I decide to explore -
and the two pages of credits and historical minutia in an Appendix should I care to look.

So true and hilarious!
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
"A 5th explanation is that the reader is a magician schooled in directed focus and misdirection and would not believe the index if offered." A worthy addition!
Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2019, Bob G wrote:
"A 5th explanation is that the reader is a magician schooled in directed focus and misdirection and would not believe the index if offered." A worthy addition!

Yes sir
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I also never understood why magic books are not indexed. One thought is that many magic books seem to be published with economy in mind by not-the-first-rate publishers. Perhaps it takes a significant amount of work and money to create a detailed index.

With due respect Mr Oslund, I believe it is the 7th volume of Tarbell that is indexed, not all sevem (or eight). Also indexed is the Royal Road and Marlo's Revolutionary Card Technique.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
"T.U.C. Appreciation" is indexed and ordered according to type of effect,
and has an appendix with all of the moves, sleights and subtleties cross referenced,
and each effect description begins with a descriptions of materials, moves and sleights involved.

It can be done - just takes a lot of work.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
At the end of Tarbell #7, which I wrote, I included the index for ALL seven volumes. That was more difficult, took more time, I think, than actually writing the book. So far as I know, over the decades, everyone believes that index I "offered."
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
That's right Harry, that's why in my Tarbell collection I have jumped from Vols. 1-3 to 7 - to see what's doin' in the other volumes. You don't just write the good stuff, you even index it.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do magic books have indices? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL