The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Defying the Elements (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
On the 150th anniversary and UN year of the Periodic Table, I am pleased to be presenting a new show entitled 'Defying the Elements: A Magical Celebration of the Periodic Table' on 15 June at the Lakeside Theatre at the University of Nottingham.

I will be performing two matinee shows for free as part of our Wonder festival.

I will update with more details as they become available.

Best wishes

Todd
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
No fair . . .

MY new show is entitled, "Defying the Periods: A Magical Celebration of the Rules of Punctuation"

Seriously though — Congrats! I wish I could be there to see it :-D
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
No fair . . .

MY new show is entitled, "Defying the Periods: A Magical Celebration of the Rules of Punctuation"

Seriously though — Congrats! I wish I could be there to see it :-D

Brilliant Smile
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
The table progresses from simple elements to more complex ones, and allows a story to be told, not only about the history of the derivation of the table, but also its structure and organisation, as well as an inspiration for the great book by Primo Levi, who wrote Survival in Auschwitz among other great works.

My show moves through the table, blending classics from magic and mentlalism, as well as a derivation of a new element, which will definitely not be 'unobtainium'!

Cheers

Todd
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
What about upsidaisium?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
395 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
The element of surprise....
bud.scott
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of bud.scott
They have been searching for unobtainium for years, but it's always just out of reach.
Dabbler in the Esoteric
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VIII
Order of the Hexidic
North West Gathering of the Dark Magi II,III,IV,V
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
I was very pleased to have two sold out shows today for this event and we actually had to turn people away. It was fun working on a show that combines magic and science. There are so many connections between magic and the periodic table, so this seems a rich vein to explore further.

Pictures are here:

https://www.facebook.com/AcademicMagician/

Best wishes

Todd
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2019, DrTodd wrote:
There are so many connections between magic and the periodic table, so this seems a rich vein to explore further.

Can we talk you into tossing out a few example, or is the topic for a new book.
Bob
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Here are some fun things:

The use of concentric circles in the occult world helped chemists think more deeply about atomic structures (see Morrison's book on this)
NaCL has many effects
H2O is also very amenable to many effects
NaCl+H2O = NAOH + HCL and allows for even more effects (some involving newspapers that might carry stories about climate change)
Premo Levi, the Italian chemist and author of Survival in Auschwitz also wrote a book called The Periodic Table
The periodic table is highly mathematical and thus can be used for any number of any numbers ;-)
Electrons fly around the nucleus in shells, which some magicians reckon makes solid matter permeable
There are 118 elements, leaving open the possibility of creating 119
Then there is mass, atomic weight, gravity, and a whole host of chemical magic effects.

Cheers

Todd
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Sounds very interesting. Would love to see the show you do scripted and sold as a routine others, like me, could learn from. I'm totally at lost when it comes to the periodic table.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Defying the Elements (13 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL