The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Leo Martello? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Am I wrong in remembering (or, at least, thinking that I remember) that Leo Martello was friends with Tony Andruzzi and was a bizarre magician?
I thought that was the case, but I can't seem to find the references I thought there were.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
scottishpiper51
View Profile
Regular user
of Gris-Gris
138 Posts

Profile of scottishpiper51
I had a good friend years ago that was a big fan of Martello. I remember hearing a great deal about his occult pursuits (not limited to Stregheria) and his activism, but never anything about a link between him and bizarre magic, in general, or Andruzzi, in particular. It certainly doesn’t mean there wasn’t a link there. After all, Martello was acquainted with LaVey, and (according to Walt Anthony) LaVey was mentored by Andruzzi.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Right, it definitely seems possible, but maybe I got confused by the six-degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon connections that they both have; as you say, they certainly ran in similar circles even if they didn’t know each other.

I was a big fan of LaVey when I was teen (I just got a great book filled with pictures of him and Jayne Mansfield ...including a reprint of one his flyers for his occult talks at the black house!), and only relative recently hear about the Andruzzi-LaVey connection of the seances and Spookshows podcast. The story, as told there, seems potentially embellished but had a ring of truth to it. As I heard it the impetus was on Sammy Davis Jr, but I’m under the impression that the church was already established by the time he came along; I’m not up to going through Aquino’s book to look for references though.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
My old boss was a friend of LaVey. They belonged to a "wild animal club" in the S.F. Bay Area. Matt owned a pair of Ocelots. I was their babysitter many times. Since they had the run of the house...it was absolutely terrifying.

Matt definitely was influenced by LaVey in his outlook on life. And took part in "parties" at the black house. ( LaVey of course kept a Lion in his basement )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Leo Martello? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL