The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Himber Cigarette Case - Merv Taylor (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

judagar
View Profile
New user
Cary, NC
44 Posts

Profile of judagar
I need some help with this item I won at auction. Does anyone know how it works? Thanks. Ray
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Inside the case there is a holder for several cigarettes. When the holder is loaded with the cigarette it looks like a bar going across the center of the cigarettes. It is spring loaded. The holder also has a small protrusion at the opposite end from the spring loaded hinge.

If you close the case and simply open it the holder and cigarettes are seen laying flat on side "A". anything placed under the cigarettes (a card a billet, a photo, a stick of gum) is hidden from view.

Close the case and put your thumb on the protrusion and open it again lifting the holder and the cigarettes held against side "B". Now whatever was hidden on side "A" is seen.

Alternate you can start with nothing under the cigarettes on side "A" and then place a card, bill, whatever on top of the tigerettes for same keeping and later open the case showing side "B" and the "whatever" have vanished to be found elsewhere.

That is the bare bones handling there is a turn over move such that the cigarettes are always seen resting on the same hand and that hand is controlling the protrusion. With prop in hand that should make sense.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hi Ray:

Is this the version you purchased?

If yes PM me your e-mail and I can send you a scan on Monday of the instructions.

John
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
That is way different than the version I have (packed away).
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I believe this is the version more commonly referred to as the Merv Taylor Himber Cigarette Case, Harry.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You are absolutely correct. I went digging into my boxes and found that I do have that Merv Taylor prop. However, the one I was describing is one I actually used a lot back in the day and was put out by Supreme Magic in England in the 70s.

Different working entirely. My bad!!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I have a few cases as well, my favorite is probably the one Joe Porper made. Would love to see a picture of the Supreme one Harry.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe Harry is not remembering correct. It was made and sold by Ken Brooke's Magic Place in London England. I have one. It is simply a more sophisticated version of the simple Card Box. Ken included some get routines.

The Merv Taylor Himber, looks more like a drawer box.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Do cigarette case effects play in a day when smoking is seen as taboo? Or is it just played as an old case? I know I haven't seen anyone using a cigarette case since you couldn't buy them loose.

BTW, Bill, Welcome Home. We were in country at about the same time. 1966-67 for me.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, weepinwil wrote:
Do cigarette case effects play in a day when smoking is seen as taboo? Or is it just played as an old case? I know I haven't seen anyone using a cigarette case since you couldn't buy them loose.

Comments on TV antique shows in the UK suggest that cigarette cases are more likely to be used to hold business cards nowadays.

Barry
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2019, mindmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, weepinwil wrote:

Comments on TV antique shows in the UK suggest that cigarette cases are more likely to be used to hold business cards nowadays.

Barry

I see. Thanks for the info
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
With marijuana getting legalized in more states, it wouldn't surprise me if they were getting used to carry that.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
With marijuana getting legalized in more states, it wouldn't surprise me if they were getting used to carry that.

"Save your cigarette cases, they are coming back!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Himber Cigarette Case - Merv Taylor (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL