The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Can every trick be improved on? (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Perfection, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I think there exist tricks that are perfect as they are and any attempt to change them is detrimental. YMMV.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Improving a classic is like a revolution. It is treason, until it prospers.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Modes of communication change over time; Spellings, meanings change; Connotation and denotation of visual images change; Tempo, attention, clothing change; Spooky action at a distance is no longer so spooky; Viruses mutate; Elvis has left the building.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Jonathon?
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2020, magicfish wrote:
Jonathon?

Is that like a telethon or a marathon? An exhaustive succession of Jons?
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
For the most part, the classics cannot be improved upon. Be that as it may, procedural and handling changes have flowed down the river. Each performer might make a slight change that better suits their personality. I believe they were incorporated to make the handling a little more natural. Mike Rogers' version of Dr. Daley's Last Trick is a bit more direct than the original write up. I adopted his handling upon reading it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2020, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
Jonathon?

No. It's a gentleman's name.
In the new year I'll explain to you what a gentleman is. Then we'll work on modeling your comedy after a more successful movie character.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2020, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
Jonathon?

No. It's a gentleman's name.
In the new year I'll explain to you what a gentleman is. Then we'll work on modeling your comedy after a more successful movie character.

I considered Jerry Lankford, but he just didn't understand the plight of the common man.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
No no, you see, that's more of the same.
Like I said, we'll work on it.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
The other conversation was better. Is Jonathan still on his Jonathon? He needs to return to drop another head-scratcher.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
No. Comedy isn't easy. Some people aren't funny- like yourself. Many magicians who are naturally unfunny rely on, or rather copy, personas from the past. Paul Harris is a favourite target. As is Jay Sankey. Theft is theft. But I'm sure you have other strengths.
See Eugene Burger's essay on using humour.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Oh- and you misspelled Jonathon. It isn't Jonathan, The gentleman I referred to is named Jonathon.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Now please, back on topic.
Pop, I like your revolution analogy.
Quite true.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
Oh- and you misspelled Jonathon. It isn't Jonathan, The gentleman I referred to is named Jonathon.

Now I'm interested!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
...no doubt.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2019, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I don’t think “every effect” can be improved. I think some effects are “as good as they are gonna get”. I do however believe most effects can be “tinkered with” to be updated or modernized to whatever the state of great magic is at this time in history. Many of the “hot new items” these days are simply adaptations of good effects hidden away in older books. I really like the quote Lance Pierce printed in his “Recharmed, I’m Sure” directions while comparing to Troy Hooser’s “Charming Chinese Challenge” — “Troy’s routine is already classic and well formed, and it isn’t in need of much tinkering, but as magicians with the spirit to explore, tinker we must”.

Tinkering, updating and modernization of effects may not really “Improve” an effect for the sake of making it a better effect than it originally was. It can however make a great older effect more palatable or understandable to a new audience. At the same time, I wonder, is it the effect, the method or the presentation that makes the biggest difference.

Reading through all of the pages I agree with Poof-Daddy's assement! Smile
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I do not believe in perfection. Only its pursuit.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"Roy Walton's 'Back Into Time' is a perfect card trick- a perfect blend of effect and method. As such, alternate handlings may vary it, but have never improved it."
- J.K. Hartman, Card Devilry. Pg.57
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Can every trick be improved on? (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL