The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Two different double lifts in the same routine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicwiia
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
What are the pros and cons of double two different DLs in the same routine? I'd start out with the Dr Daley instantaneous DL and then it would be followed a few moments later with a Knockout DL.

My thought was that mixing it up rather than using the DD instantaneous for both might keep friends guessing by not seeing the same move twice. I wonder whether doing the same DL might focus their attention on the second DL more closely.

Any thoughts?
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Spectators should not be aware they are witnessing a "move".

There is a reason magicians often give the advice of making your single card turnovers look identical to your double.

The wisdom found in there might answer your question.
magicwiia
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
I know it's me but I'm not understanding. Are you implying that it is best to:

1) Learn one SC turnover and DL technique and only use that, never using any other DL, or

2) Learn various SC turnovers and DLs but only use one consistent style per routine?

I'm guessing it's the latter.

If you give a deck of cards to someone in the audience, probably 90%, or more, will push off the top card before turning over in some manner. That push-off DL would maximize audience comfort and likely disguise best what I'm doing. It's also something I endeavor to learn but the push-off DL is a very difficult move (I think) and maybe one I'll never learn well , if at all.
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Move should be done in the context, if I'm merely giving audience a glimpse of the top card, I will executed Stuart Gordon double turnover
If I'm picking up glass with my right hand, I will execute one hand Double turnover with my left hand.

I do not believe in always executing one type of Double Turnover
Always different technique in different context.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, MorrisCH wrote:
Move should be done in the context, if I'm merely giving audience a glimpse of the top card, I will executed Stuart Gordon double turnover
If I'm picking up glass with my right hand, I will execute one hand Double turnover with my left hand.

I do not believe in always executing one type of Double Turnover
Always different technique in different context.

Spot on.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Imo your DL should look just like it does when you turn over a single card. If you do them differently it will telegraph that something is different and will lead to suspicion. Id do it the same every time.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, obrienmagic wrote:
Imo your DL should look just like it does when you turn over a single card. If you do them differently it will telegraph that something is different and will lead to suspicion. Id do it the same every time.

That's assuming we turn over singles the same way every time. I certainly don't. As suggested above, different circumstances call for different handlings. Nothing unnatural about that... Unless you perform them unnaturally.
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
I agree with Rupert, I think it’s valid to say no matter how you turn a page of a book as long as the reader is turning one single page
When you see someone work in the office sorting out the paper work, there’s no one way of taking one single piece of paper,
they have to adapt the circumstances( if the paper stock is different than regular paper, if the the papers are pile up, or their hand is dry, or they have to remove some items on the table in order to take the piece of paper) to handle the documentation.

Same can apply to handling a Double turnover, no matter how you turnover a card as long as audience perceive you as “turning over a single card”
the only time audience will suspect is if you turn a single card unnaturally according to the given circumstances.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
I agree with Rupert and the others, it all comes down to context. We don't always remove and turn over single cards the exact same way each time.
In fact it could be argued that using the exact same action each time, with no regard for context, could actually arouse suspicion.

Jim
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Here's a bunch of double lifts:

mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:

Those DLs were invisible, Pop ... thanks to perfect misdirection that made me look somewhere else all the time ...

Mark
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Magicwilia,

I know that experts often know several double lifts, for reasons that others explained above, but maybe it would help you at your current stage to concentrate on just one. (Of course, you'll have to experiment for a while to decide which one to invest in.) I, at least, get tempted to try to learn everything at once, because it's all so cool! But I do what I can to tamp myself down and have just one sleight that I'm emphasizing at any given time. I also give some time to keeping sleights that I already know fresh, and to learning another couple of sleights, but with less emphasis. That way, if I'm despairing about the sleight I'm emphasizing, I can change my emphasis, at least temporarily. Don't know if that helps -- as you know from another thread, I'm not all that far along the Magical Road myself.

Let's wish each other luck!

Bob
EllisJames52
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh PA
51 Posts

Profile of EllisJames52
Honestly it depends on the context. Make sure its natural.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:

Fantastic performance, Pop! A reminder that magicians should not only be experts at their craft, but also superb entertainers.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Two different double lifts in the same routine (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL