The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Designing a story-based routine - research material request (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bdungey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of bdungey
Would love to be pointed in the right direction here - surely there are materials on this subject which would help me learn. I'm starting the process of designing a routine off of a story. I'd like to know what the trusted materials are for learning how best to accomplish this.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I can tell you my three favorite resources. Can’t say they are the best for everyone, but they are my go-to books.

Tales of Enchantment by Walt Anthony. Looks at the process of telling a story with magic and has loads of examples. You won’t learn the workings behind any tricks, but this is a great book for understanding how the story and magic fit together.

Magictales 2 by Leslie Melville. Not really about crafting your own stories, but full of wonderful examples of full routines. This does teach some methods and has great stories, but not much theory. I hope to find volume 1 some day.

Pentalogy by R. Shane. Mostly text. Mostly examples of presentation, one of my favorite books ever.

Honorable mention to Master Payne’s Sometimes the Jokes Are Just for Me. Mostly character stuff that gives context to your presentation.

Patrick
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
Designing miracles by Darwin Ortiz (audiobook)
Magic and Meaning by Burger and Neale
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Late to this thread. I am a story teller as much as a magician - writing 200-300 poems or stories a year.
Some of said that there is a bit of magic in of them. Others that there is nothing of my writing that is not spiritual. Choose. (or not)

My point is that start off telling stories of actual experience in your life that others might consider unusual or magical.

Performance magic is ONE WAY of sharing life experience. First must come the magic experience. Then comes concern over how best to share it.

It is not about tricks or making up stories. I seek to create a memory of something inexplicable occurring right now.
A story can be a foundation. A real story can be a portal.

Back when I was small, like you, my boy;
and the world alive with “why” and “if,”
I saw a man do something wond’rous
that I remember with silent joy.

He took a coin so shiny and round
and placed it within my trembling hand
that I clenched in fear of dropping it,
though from eyes and voice I courage found.

That coin then grew warm and trembled some
as if alive and wanting to be
a butterfly or tiny fairy
more magical than what coins become.

I opened my hand and it flew away
in a flash of light and echoing song;
and the man winked at me and laughed
that I never fret over memory.

Your days will be filled with “now” and “be”
and mysteries to be solved and won;
but magic needs no answer, little one –
save that you and I are here to see.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Designing a story-based routine - research material request (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL