The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Do you prefer s1ates with gimmicks? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bdungey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of bdungey
Want to know the opinion of some of the more seasoned performers here regarding the use of m@gnet1c or l0cking s1ates.

(Am I doing the codified terms well enough?)

I picked up a set of craft store s1ates that are near perfect but are actual s1ate, so won't be very eligible for some of the DIY magnet1c stuff I've seen. I've stumbled onto a method by Karl Fulves that looks sublime and limits the amount of mechanical failure due to the lack of moving parts. I'd love to know some thoughts from the community on the pros and cons of gimmicked s1ates vs craft-store-clean.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
I far and away prefer regular slates and use Ed Carlyle's method (haven't seen Fulves' but may be the same) that he taught at ECSS I. Simple, easy, fool proof and a real fooler.
bdungey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of bdungey
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2019, Winks wrote:
I far and away prefer regular slates and use Ed Carlyle's method (haven't seen Fulves' but may be the same) that he taught at ECSS I. Simple, easy, fool proof and a real fooler.

Thanks for the response - I'm going to really put some hours in on the method I know. With confidence, I'm sure it's a good start.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I've built both locking and non locking slates and very much prefer the non locking ones for my own use. For one thing, they are thinner and more innocent looking, and they never "misalign." The only issue with real slates these days is the quality of the slate -- they are quite fragile and crack easily. That's why I use plywood slates with a faux slate finish -- they are sturdy and really look the part.
Marc
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
I will happily testify to the quality and deceptive beauty of Marks slates - I’ve never had an issue using them never once
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I prefer the gimmicked ones, only if they're made by that genius Paul Prater!
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
I bought some large, well made slates from a brick and mortar magic shop that closed down recently. First thing I did was set the gimmick aside. I only use ungimmicked handlings. I’ve never been challenged on it before hand and I can hand them out afterwards to the toughest skeptics. Nothing to find!

I do, however, use a switchbox by Marc Charisse which is silent and works lovely. I only use it for switches. For spirit writing, ungimmicked all the way!
judeh
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of judeh
Can anyone recommend any gimmicked slates?
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Marc Charisse makes the best gravity slates I've seen. Especially if you are going for the antique look. Very few people know how the age props in a convincing way. It is an art form that requires a trained eye for subtle detail. And his creations simple ooze authenticity. Even the method is period correct to early spiritualist. And mechanically, the items I've purchased from him have all been well constructed and work flawlessly. I've got nice collection of slates, including an Owens, but Marc's is the one that stands out in my mind. You can find it at Gemini.

https://www.geminiartifacts.com/collecti......63615749
Bob
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, Intrepid wrote:
Marc Charisse makes the best gravity slates I've seen. Especially if you are going for the antique look. Very few people know how the age props in a convincing way. It is an art form that requires a trained eye for subtle detail. And his creations simple ooze authenticity. Even the method is period correct to early spiritualist. And mechanically, the items I've purchased from him have all been well constructed and work flawlessly. I've got nice collection of slates, including an Owens, but Marc's is the one that stands out in my mind. You can find it at Gemini.

https://www.geminiartifacts.com/collecti......63615749

I enthusiastically agree! Mark makes great looking, flawless functioning, fairly priced slates.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Another vote for Marc Charisse's slates. Actually, anything he makes, including his wonderfully themed switching boxes.

I freely admit to having become addicted to them, and must own at least six or nine. Maybe more. And strangely, it still doesn't seem like enough. I guess that's why they call it addiction.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Every now and again I think about "retiring" from prop making -- it's a lot of work and not much money. But then I hear from folks who enjoy and appreciate the work, and it makes it seem so worthwhile. So thank you all -- it a real privilege to feel something I made is being used to bring wonder to others.
Marc
gostone23
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of gostone23
Marc,

I have two sets of your Slates and Love them both. I have been eyeballing one of your switch boxes. At least give us a heads up if you retire...

-gostone23
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Please don't retire from prop making Marc, we need you.
Bob
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Ah, gee, you guys!
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I was a die-hard locking flap guy until I purchased a set of Marc’s slates; I now own two sets! Everything everyone has said is true, and they stand up to scrutiny. I have done over 100 séance performances with my busker-size set, and they are one of the highlight reveals at the end.
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
908 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
The Ragged School Slates have just entered their 3rd production run for those who missed out previously...

https://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/products......-edition

Darkly

Dan
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I put in my order as soon as I received the e-mail that they were available for pre-order once again.

Looking forward to receiving them and incorporating them into my séance act!
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
The day before a show in a restored opera house, I heard the story about the house supposedly being haunted. I hadn't brought my slates with me for that particular show, so I ran down to the local dollar store and bought a cheap set of plastic slates. When I opened the packages on stage for the first time Smile and the local spirit made his presence it was pretty amazing! Oh...I also bought some black poster board at the store!

Click here to view attached image.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Way to improvise on the spot Terry!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Do you prefer s1ates with gimmicks? (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL