The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » Grandson starting as assistant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
My 12 year old grandson has shown an interest in magic and will assist me for awhile until he feels comfortable enough to go solo.

I am thinking about letting him try a trick or two during my shows just to get his feet wet. I am also going to expose him to other magicians, both in person and via video/television so he can see the many different styles offered.

I have given him some magic props to keep and practice with so he can get the feel of them. He did show his mother, grandmother and aunts some of the tricks. I have given him some books to read to learn from other magicians experiences as well.

Any thoughts on anything else I should do to help encourage him and keep him interested? Although he will assist me for the next year and a half, he did not want to go solo until such a time as he turns 14.

Glenn
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
You could come up with a great routine using two Vanishing Bandannas.

The patter could be similar to teaching the grandson a trick...etc. It would get some amazing laughs.

On another note,

What got me going into magic was COIN MAGIC. It is fascinating to learn about the methods and gaffs.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Thank you for your post. Do you have a comedy routine already for the vanishing Bandanna? If so, please email me.

He is pretty much set with all types of magic; that is, silks, cards, coins, rope, sleights, etc. His hands are not large enough to do certain palming techniques, but will be in about a year.

Glenn
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Do a search for some of my earlier posts RE: Ren Faire magic.

My 12 year old stepson is interested in magic and we're trying to work up a two person "Teacher/Student" style show. I can "coach" him as he basically mimicks my tricks, giving him freedom to "ad lib" and be a kid at the same time, to the delight of the audience and dismay of his "teacher."

We're thinking about a two person "Cups and Balls" where we each have a dupe of the other's loads, so now the balls not only move from cup to cup, they can move from my cups to his!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Thank you Dave.

I will look over your posts and try some of that with Jaime.

Glenn

Just wanted to post a note letting you all know that my grandson assisted a magician friend of mine last Saturday at a large picnic. He did very well and my friend gave him some magic props which filled his carrying case to the limit.

He was so excited and looks forward to assisting me at some of my shows. I am excited for him and look forward to him branching out on his own.

Glenn
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I think this is fantastic. There needs to be "The Most Fun Grandpa" Award.

Odd that in my case, my grandmother encouraged me to be a performer. On the otherhand, my dad (84), who is in good health, has never ever seen me perform in a real show as a magician, musician, or in rodeo. I have been in the professional entertainment industry over forty-six years. It has been virtually all of my adult life that we have been unable to share. Young people need encouragement and approval from older people they respect.

Grandparents make great investors in developing young personalities. (And they enjoy the deal!) Keep it up!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Why do grandparents and grandchildren get along so well together?

ANSWER: Because they have a common enemy.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Look into Whit Haydn's Linking Ring routine. If you let your grandson "show" you the trick, it would be very funny.

The vanishing bandana is a dealer item. Hank Lee lists it. When you look it up, you will see what would need to be done.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I think this is a great idea to. please let us know how it works/turns out.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Thank all of you for your responses. I hope to show my grandson the ropes (no pun intended). Bill, thank you for the lead on Hank Lee's with the bandana routine. Also, thanks for the lead to Whit's routine with the linking rings. Jaime has told me that he wants to learn the linking ring routine, but I have been hesitant as I do not know how complicated it will be for him. Bob, thanks for the award. Jaime thinks I am fun and interesting to be with, but what does he know; he is only 13. Seriously, we do have a lot of fun together and I really enjoy working with him and watching him perform. Funny, his mother followed in my footsteps as a cop and now he is following in my footsteps as a magician. I hope that one day he can take over my business, PoliceMagic.com. I will let you know how he comes out with the routines. Thanks again.
Glenn
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-01-21 03:17, Police Magician wrote:
Thank all of you for your responses. I hope to show my grandson the ropes (no pun intended). Bill, thank you for the lead on Hank Lee's with the bandana routine. Also, thanks for the lead to Whit's routine with the linking rings. Jaime has told me that he wants to learn the linking ring routine, but I have been hesitant as I do not know how complicated it will be for him. Bob, thanks for the award. Jaime thinks I am fun and interesting to be with, but what does he know; he is only 13. Seriously, we do have a lot of fun together and I really enjoy working with him and watching him perform. Funny, his mother followed in my footsteps as a cop and now he is following in my footsteps as a magician. I hope that one day he can take over my business, PoliceMagic.com. I will let you know how he comes out with the routines. Thanks again.
Glenn

Glenn,

Are we ready to know? Is he a magician yet?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Bob, Jaime is still learning but somewhat afraid to perform in front of people. I am having him assist me on stage to get used to seeing audiences. He recently assisted me for the Relay for Life when I dressed as Merlin and did five shows that night.

I had hoped he would be ready to do a show for his school this month, but I guess I will have to wait until the end of school next year. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the concern. Hopefully, I can get him over his stage fright.

Glenn
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There's a newspaper tear routine for two that I've seen live.
What I remember:
A paper is shown to have red dots and black dots in an alternating grid patter.
One mage tears this apart and hands some pieces to the other mage.
Both papers are then unfolded.
One mage has a restored paper with all the red dots and the other has a restored paper with all the black dots.

Something other than dots could be used to good effect.

Sorry but I'm not sure if this is commercially available.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-05-01 08:03, Police Magician wrote:
Bob, Jaime is still learning but somewhat afraid to perform in front of people. I am having him assist me on stage to get used to seeing audiences. He recently assisted me for the Relay for Life when I dressed as Merlin and did five shows that night.

I had hoped he would be ready to do a show for his school this month, but I guess I will have to wait until the end of school next year. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the concern. Hopefully, I can get him over his stage fright.

Glenn

Glenn,

Keep on, keeping on. Tell Jamie I shake every time I'm being brave too!

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Bob, Jaime likes working with puppets and has a good personality. Finding a voice for his puppet is difficult as his voice is changing at this stage of his life. He is learning some tricks but still is apprehensive about going public. Hope to get him over that soon. Thanks. Glenn
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Glenn,

If he has trouble with his puppet voice right now, has he considered using a squeaker for the puppet's voice? Then he can answer questions, etc.

(You have rodeo clown friend who used to talk to his miniature mule that way! The hardest part is learning to look at the puppet like he is the one making the noise.)

Merry Christmas!

Bob and Lucy Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

I have a squeaker that I use for gags. I will give one to Jaime and see if he can emulate the rodeo clown. Thanks Bob. Appreciate your assistance. Have a Happy and Safe Holiday Season. Glenn
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Glenn,

I hope that his puppet is better looking than a rodeo clowning mule! Mine was Spark Plug Jackson and replaced later by Mighty Martha the Wonder Mule!

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Bob, his puppet is a soft type human looking magician in a tux and top hat. He can handle it well enough but has to learn about timing and making the puppet look alive by moving it around even when it is not speaking. I am sure he will learn as time goes on. Again, thanks for the assistance. Jaime will get better with experience. Glenn
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Glenn,

Look in the clowning section. There is a good topic there on puppets. It may give you some ideas you can use.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » Grandson starting as assistant (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL