The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Information on magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic soul
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
104 Posts

Profile of magic soul
Hi. can someone tell me about the demon telegraph magazine (I think) by davenports magic years ago. I want to know how many tricks per issue roughly , what kind of magic, also how many pages in each, anything you can tell me thanks
andy
bud.scott
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of bud.scott
Dabbler in the Esoteric
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VIII
Order of the Hexidic
North West Gathering of the Dark Magi II,III,IV,V
magic soul
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
104 Posts

Profile of magic soul
So do you not know anything about it bud.scott. As I couldn't find anything on google so I had tried that already.
andy
John Kokot
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
The following information does not address your specific questions, but it may be of interest to you. According to A Bibliography of Conjuring Periodicals in English: 1781-1983, by James Alfredson and George Daily, Jr. (1986), Demon Telegraph was published from August 1933 through the early 1950s. There were a total of 146 issues; numbers 1-60 were issued as Lewis Davenport’s dealer’s house organ; it became a general publication starting with issue 61 in January 1942. Many issues contained loose advertising flyers.
magic soul
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
104 Posts

Profile of magic soul
Thanks for info. But yes I have the alfredson/daily index. I really wanted to know kind of tricks and that there not all big prop tricks and illusions, and if they have a lot of close up, cards, coins, etc. Thanks
andy
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
I recently bought two bound volumes of The Demon Telegraph. The years of 1947 and 1948. In these issues there is a wide variety of tricks, chatter and articles. Of particular interest (to me) are the monthly contributions by Oswald Rae on old-time magicians he had known, like Goldin, Downs, Owen Clark etc. Also the listings of tricks performed by old-time magicians (similar to Programmes of Famous Magicians).

Taking an issue at random for July 1947, there's 28 pages including cover and five of them are advertising pages.

I believe it ran from 1933 to 1951.

When I first wrote to Davenport's (late 60's) they sent me a copy of The Demon Telegram which was all advertising (if I recall correctly). I suspect it followed on from the Demon Telegraph.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Information on magazine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL