The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Drury's Dice Mysteries (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Another Café thread includes some discussion of Steve Drury' new book Dice Mysteries, but it is not explicit in the thread's title; I decided that as many people as possible deserve to know about this book.

Drury's ambitious project is a comprehensive 580 page collection of writings (by Drury and others) about an ancient, perennial, and most prominent type of "random number generator." The reader learns about the history of dice and their longterm and widespread use in number generation, divination, games, gambling, cheating, and other expressions. There is also some discussion of other random number generators and of many types of dice and dice-like props.

The book's main focus is on the use of dice within mystery entertainment. About 25 articles (from almost as many writers) introduce a range of possible effects for mentalism performers; several of the articles unpack a range of effects or variations. (At least six of these effects may find their way into some of my performances .)

Some effects, of course, require a special device or prop to perform the effect. I was inspired to spring for a set of automatic forcing dice and the Alan Wakeling "Loaded Dice" wooden box (both from Viking).

I enjoy performing with dice. They are portable, recognizable, and interesting to people. I bought (from Amazon) a set of six two-inch dice, in the six basic colors, for when I perform Docc Hilford's E'Voque for a larger audience.

John Carey's "Dice, Dice Baby" kit recently refocused my energy for dice effects. Then Drury's book came in the mail. I wholeheartedly commend Dice Mysteries to this community, and welcome other reports and reflections.

George Hunter
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thanks for the recommendation. Just googled a link, for completeness.

https://www.mysteryentertainerproducts.com/mysteries
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
aviso
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of aviso
Thank you for the recommendation George!
joad1013
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of joad1013
Thanks for sharing,I also want more source of dice tricks!!
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Just saw about this in MagicSeen and went to order it. Drury is evidently using print to order on Lulu.com since that is where I was directed from his page. Used coupon code ONEFIVE and scored 15% off. Should have next week. The John Carey disc really got me thinking about dice magic so very excited to get this one.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Carey’s kit moved this to front burner for me also.

George
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Drury's Dice Mysteries (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL