The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is the holy grail in card magic (44 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Yes Shaun, first loves have eternal charms…
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2019, LuttinShaun wrote:
> thing that is being earnestly pursued or sought after

What comes to mind is a 30-minute session that satisfies both me and the audience.

For me, a key criteria is simplicity of equipment: one deck of standard bikes and a black Sharpie.

IMHO, Shaun is spot on!

Being able to take provide a truly entertaining experience for 15...20...even 30 minutes with nothing but a plain deck and marker is the goal to strive for.
There's lots of incredible gaffs, one-shot wonders, etc.....but being able to sit/stand anywhere, anytime and rock'em....that's the holy grail IMHO.
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
For me.. the Holy Grail would be something so simplistic.. there would be nothing to figure out. The magician looks through a pack of cards, removes one, holds it up with back toward the spectator, and ask the spectator to name a card. The spectator names a card.. and the magician turns the card to reveal the match. No sleights.. no possibility of sleights or other manipulations. Hope the following isn't too much info, but after going for the Holy Grail I do this..keeping in mind men usually pick obscure cards like 3, 6 or 9 of Clubs or Spades. Women, of course, love to pick Queen of Hearts or Diamonds and sometimes 2 of Heart or Diamonds.. I stick the card back in the deck, shrug my shoulders and say..'Oh well..' ... and we laugh. I tell them that little trick usually works about once every 52 times.. they get the reference.. and we laugh again. While we're laughing, I glance through the deck, find the card they named, and bring it to the top. I create packets and do a magicians c----e about five or six layers deep.. let them discover their card is the last one remaining.. ask them again 'what was the card you named earlier".. and show them the last card remaining is the card they picked. This is simplistic stuff.. but it really works on a lay audience. And when the card they name IS the card I'm holding up at first.. about once every 12 times of so.. it leaves them speechless. That's MY Holy Grail.
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
My thought is it is getting more than a bit old.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
We've been inundated by these ACAAN routines and it is time to move on. That's the explanation.
BTW, is it only me or has a certain someone's posts been removed from this thread? That may explain why this is starting up again.
LuttinShaun
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of LuttinShaun
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2019, Zauberman wrote:
IMHO, Shaun is spot on!

Thank you for the encouragement.
Dan Andrus
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Dan Andrus
The holy grail has to be the mastery of the Altman Trap. It's all downhill after that.......
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2019, Dan Andrus wrote:
The holy grail has to be the mastery of the Altman Trap. It's all downhill after that.......

You know, you are so right. Allan Ackerman makes it look sooooo easy!
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Allan makes all the most difficult sleights look so easy, it’s almost annoying ! 😂
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2019, Rachmaninov wrote:
Allan makes all the most difficult sleights look so easy, it’s almost annoying ! 😂

But the Altman Trap *is* easy, isn't it? Or does the natural pudginess at the base of my left thumb make it easier *for me*? Or do the cards separate for you after you do the trap, when you are pushing the card(s) over to turn them face down? Doesn't the trap make that easier too? These comments confuse me. I can barely do any sleight of hand any more but I can do that. What I have trouble with is the *glide.* What planet am I on?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Everybody has his own weaknesses and strengths, difficult things appear simple to others and vice versa. The extremely difficult stuff is hard for everybody…
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
For me the Holy Grail would look like this, spectator thinks of a card (he never says it out loud), and then in the fairer way he finds it.
I think that would be my Holy Grail if we were talking about effects, but if we were talking about the way your magic is felt I strongly think that if your magic is felt like real magic, at least for an instance, then that would be my Holy Grail.

Sorry if I made any mistakes by my poor english,
Cristobal
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
One that has to be high on the list of "grail" effects has to be "Given the Slip" as performed by Dai Vernon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpXLUoDcy6M
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
Those who saw it before the mods took it down, you have been blessed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is the holy grail in card magic (44 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL