The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bond, James Bond (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, Slim King wrote:
I have James Bonds book... He's a bird watcher.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Birds......4&sr=8-1

Yeah, Fleming didn't ask for permission before "borrowing" the name, either. It's a good thing the real Mr. Bond had a sense of humor. Once the books (and movies) took off, he had a hell of a time convincing people he really WAS "James Bond."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Years ago I stumbled across some television segment comparing various martial arts.

They had a contraption comprising, if I recall correctly, five platforms (each a circular disk about 1 foot in diameter), each atop a relatively thin, metal post; the posts were flexible (so that if you weren't balanced over the center of the platform, it would sway and tip), and graduated from about one foot high to about five feet high.

They had practitioners of the different martial arts try to climb this thing: standing on the lowest platform, gaining their balance, then moving to the next, and so on. Most handled the shortest with ease, struggled with the second, and fell off when they tried the third. Karate, tae kwon do, judo, muay thai, whatever.

Then came the ninjutsu artist. Not only did he make it to the highest platform, he was bounding from one platform to the next and back like an ibex. It was mesmerizing to watch.

It's interesting how things come full circle. I was extremely impressed watching the founder of Parkour, David Belle, run up a climbing wall that people had died trying to climb. Just ran right up with it seeming like his feet barely touched the handholds.
Then his former training partner, Sebastien Foucan, who helped create parkour and later split to form freerunning, was the freerunner in Daniel Craig's first Bond movie.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think he is the single reason for the popularity of the style in the 90's in America. He himself was a gifted athlete. Whether the style worked as well for anyone else was always the question.

He is a great instructor and salesman.

Because of the nature if Ninjutsu and the way it started, and the 74 or so different families having a defined style wad difficult to begin with. Often they used broken Samurai swords. The tradition is shrouded in mystery and myth for a reason.

All to say I agree critter!

I think some of the stuff in his books that was added to look cool isn't super realistic like the flips but some of the standing grappling principles are solid. That could be said about a lot of martial arts though. Even the ostensibly practical Bruce Lee added flying kicks to sell his stuff. Still looks cool 😂
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yeah.

I had an instructor who would deball anyone who threw a kick for any reason. Why? Simply because your feet serve a much more important function. Locomotion. Plus there about 20 things that can be done once a skilled opponent has your foot and 19 of them result in your death. (That is making a point not statistics to look up.)

He was teaching survival fighting, not tournament. Preparing for fights you just cannot lose was the point. Not much of it was elegant or artfully done but kept a lot of cops alive so it served a purpose. Ninjutsu strikes me as the same thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2019, critter wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Years ago I stumbled across some television segment comparing various martial arts.

They had a contraption comprising, if I recall correctly, five platforms (each a circular disk about 1 foot in diameter), each atop a relatively thin, metal post; the posts were flexible (so that if you weren't balanced over the center of the platform, it would sway and tip), and graduated from about one foot high to about five feet high.

They had practitioners of the different martial arts try to climb this thing: standing on the lowest platform, gaining their balance, then moving to the next, and so on. Most handled the shortest with ease, struggled with the second, and fell off when they tried the third. Karate, tae kwon do, judo, muay thai, whatever.

Then came the ninjutsu artist. Not only did he make it to the highest platform, he was bounding from one platform to the next and back like an ibex. It was mesmerizing to watch.

It's interesting how things come full circle. I was extremely impressed watching the founder of Parkour, David Belle, run up a climbing wall that people had died trying to climb. Just ran right up with it seeming like his feet barely touched the handholds.
Then his former training partner, Sebastien Foucan, who helped create parkour and later split to form freerunning, was the freerunner in Daniel Craig's first Bond movie.

I remember a critic of that film complaining that "bad guys always end up going where they can't get away." And I thought; did you actually SEE this movie, or at lease this sequence? The guy clearly had control over the entire chase, and it was BOND who was struggling to keep up!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2019, critter wrote:
Https://youtu.be/lnu1KyYOZiU

Very impressive, very VERY impressive. I certainly couldn't do it.

But I have to wonder, how much prep time does he have? If you just brought him to a street, unknown to him, could he do any of this stuff? Or would he have to walk the street a few times and get comfortable with what was available?

Also, I know it's "snarky" of me, but the shot of the two people leaping from the rock and vaulting over the fence? I couldn't help but think; "Guys? The gate over there to your right? It's open!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bond, James Bond (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL