The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Do they care? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
I think that most who post in this area of the Café would agree that there is something inherently fascinating to people about coins and money. I thought that a topic exploring how we get an audience to care about what we do as a coin magician may help us to make the moment/our performance more magical when we perform. I'll try to explain what I mean:-

As magicians much of what we do is perhaps un-natural because in the normal course of events a person receives their change counts it into their wallet and forgets about it until they next need to buy something. But I think it is for this reason that coin magic has an inherent fascination. For an audience it must almost be like walking down a street you have been down a thousand times and suddenly noticing a beautiful house that must have been there for years only you've never noticed it. It's like waking up and smelling the roses for the first time. These discs of metal that our audience has taken for granted for so many years suddenly holds a fascination for them again.

From an early age we are taught to accept money...if someone were to come up to any of us and hand us a coin, we would perceive that object as having some value and are open to accepting it rather than putting up a barrier (actually if you’re reading this you’re probably thinking how well it would fit into classic palm at this point Smile ). Should the first thing we as coin magicians do is get the coins into someone’s hand? That I don't know but certainly some of the best reactions I have witnessed are when an object changes in a spectators hand, is this something you consider when putting together effects/ routines getting a spectator physically involved from an early stage?

I think what I am trying to say here is that in coin magic we are off to a great start and coins introduce themselves to a certain extent. From the initial good start that this affords us where do we go? What do we consider are important factors in keeping a spectator engaged in what we do?

Performance - Including confidence, competence, naturalness of movement, engaging storylines and a variety of effects all play a part. What do you feel “makes” the magic in the mind of the spectator ? Do we get less barriers because of peoples natural acceptance of money? Can we capitalize on it?

I shall look forward to your thoughts.

Chris
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Re: "Do we get less barriers because of peoples natural acceptance of money?"

Remember the David Blaine thing where it looked like he took a homeless person's cup of coffee and made money appear from it? Do you FEEL he gave the guy the cup? Do you feel good about that?

Some of us were taught NOT to accept candy or anything from strangers.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Quote:

Some of us were taught NOT to accept candy or anything from strangers.

You were taught that? I had to learn after the 5th or 6th time.....

er, nevermind.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Hi Jonathan,

In that case can I follow you round when ever you go shopping and I'll collect your change from the cashier! Unless you know all your local shops on a personal level Smile. We all I would imagine accept money from strangers in this manner on a daily basis, I'm not saying that in the context of introducing a magic trick this isn't a bit more contrived but certainly should prove to have less of a barrier perhaps than "can I show you a card trick?"

Always open to the other side of the argument of course.

As for the David Blaine thing...yes he probably gave the guy the cup and to be honest I had mixed feelings about that particular trick...should we be using someones unfortuante circumstances to provide entertainment to others....Should we also be setting our selves up as saviour figures..I don't think so. Was it a good effect...well I certainly enjoyed that aspect of it! Had a good emotional hook!

What were your thoughts?
Chris
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "As for the David Blaine thing..."

I'd say there's a message there, or maybe more of a statement of our times and our society. Am I to take from this that it's perfectly ok to perform whatever magical effect you like for someone, as long as that person isn't in a certain social or physical demographic? A money to cup effect is inappropriate if the person you involve in the trick has any perceived issues related to money or to cups? Along that line of thinking then, anyone who has any type of financial issues is an inappropriate spectator for coin magic. Anyone who is overweight is inappropriate for any effects that involve food or beverages in some way. And so on.

My magic is not a blistering social commentary, nor should it be... and I think homeless people might like to forget their troubles for a moment, every once in a while, and enjoy a good magic trick just like most everyone else does.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I hope strangers do not lure your children with money or candy.

Likewise, I choose to believe David did the kind thing and gave the guy the money he made from his cup of coffee.

Try to own your actions and beliefs. Try to offer a pleasant or useful message with your actions.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Mike a good point well put...hadn't really thought about it like that. Hell it's just magic right!
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
In David's book, if memory serves, David says he gave the guy the money, and several hundred more $$$. He also says he met the guy later on and gave him a bubble bath (I'm not making this up).
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Thanks, that takes us all the way from kind to creepy.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-05-28 12:52, cloneman wrote:
In David's book, if memory serves, David says he gave the guy the money, and several hundred more $$$. He also says he met the guy later on and gave him a bubble bath (I'm not making this up).

Completely true.

David brought some joy and happiness to a man who was down on his luck. And to see the genuine happiness in that man's face, touched my heart.

Back to the original subject....Money fascinates people. It always has...and that is why I chose to begin my venture into the Magical world with Coin Magic.

People are more fascinated with money, than cards, boxes, smoke, mirrors, etc. They are fascinated by the fact that one can make money appear out of thin air and multiply...it offers them a fantasy of wealth and power.

I love coin magic, and yes....the magic that takes place in their hands is MUCH more powerful than the magic in your own.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Re: "People are more fascinated with money..."

Yes, money is a symbol of something.

What you do with that symbol is up to you. Where you use that symbol in your stories is up to you.

Bad example: Performer takes a dollar out of his wallet, puts in in envelope with the word "Stock" written on the front. After a moment, takes out a five dollar bill, smiles and puts the bill back in the envelope. Then the performer writes the word "ENRON" over the word "Stock". After a moment, the performer tears up the envelope and lets the pieces flutter to the table, no sign of the bill(s).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Do they care? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL