The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Tarbell Coin Trick with Mason Jars (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
On Penguin Magic, I saw a demo trick that Dan Harlan did with a spectator, three coins, a mason jar held by the spectator, and a glass held by Dan. The demo was for a download of a series of coin tricks that are taught in Tarbell.

I did not recognize this trick. (And I thought I had read through all of the coin routines in Tarbell.... It is possible I missed it as I don't own Volumes 6 or 8.)

Can anyone identify the name of this trick? It looked really great, and I can't believe I somehow overlooked it.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Joe:

I bought the PM version. As you might have seen in the demo, it looks good.

The PM material that I got says Tarbell 23. The question is, is this the original numbering or the new version numbering..
I think, in the new bound Tarbell, Vol 2 lesson 23 is on coin magic, and there is a "The Passe Coins and Glasses" that represents the basic effect in the PM lesson #23.

HOWSOMEVER, the original method and props(no mason jars) are quite different than what Dan taught in his rendition (with mason jars) of Tarbell 23.

It seems that Dan created a new way to do the basic effect; and would say, he did a good job!

I haven't created the gimmick used, but I'm glad you brought it back to my mind Smile

John

P.S. Am I living up to my reputation? Smile

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Your reputation is still top-shelf with me, John! I am going to re-read Volume 2 tonight.

Folks, as I have said on other occasions, John seems to know EVERYTHING; not only that, he is always willing to help out a fellow magi. Thanks, John.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Yes, it is my re-working of The Passe Coins and Glasses from Lesson 23 (V2p112). My intention with the Tarbell Course was to revise, update, and modernize everything. And, in this case, I tried the method as written and found it to be problematic. Plus, I've never liked the "hand gripping the top of a glass like a claw." So, I came up with something to accomplish the same core idea. It's all detailed in the video. Glad you like it!
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Dan, this was a most impressive update. I am usually the kind of guy who thinks that the classic tricks can only be ruined by our constant attempts at "improving" them (i.e., Triumph), but this is definitely the exception to that rule.

Based on John's response, I went back and re-read Passe Passe Coins again last night. As I read, I got to thinking, "This isn't what Dan did AT ALL!" Especially the notion that you have the spectator count the coins into the Mason jar.... It seems you have completely re-vamped the method, and have done so in an extremely convincing manner.

I may have to buy this download, even though I already own (nearly) all of the books.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2019, JoeHohman wrote:
Dan, this was a most impressive update. I am usually the kind of guy who thinks that the classic tricks can only be ruined by our constant attempts at "improving" them (i.e., Triumph), but this is definitely the exception to that rule.

Based on John's response, I went back and re-read Passe Passe Coins again last night. As I read, I got to thinking, "This isn't what Dan did AT ALL!" Especially the notion that you have the spectator count the coins into the Mason jar.... It seems you have completely re-vamped the method, and have done so in an extremely convincing manner.

I may have to buy this download, even though I already own (nearly) all of the books.

I own all eight books, I own a copy of the original mail order set and I have the big book. I got the download because well it is Dan and it is Tarbell. There are many effects in there that Dan updated that made it worth getting the whole video set.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Matthew Crabtree wrote:
"I got the download because well it is Dan and it is Tarbell."

In that case, I guess we should call this update the Dan Harlan Tarbell version.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Tarbell Coin Trick with Mason Jars (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL