The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Spirit slate (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Library.com is offering a PDF of how to have a chalk message appear in a blank slate.it's self-working and at a reasonable price.no magnets, flaps,switches...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
So, I already own this because it's written up in a old magic book. Has anything been added to justify my purchase? Has it been made practical? Oh, and the blurb, "Here is your chance to reproduce this phenomenon using an ordinary craft store slate, and a piece of chalk." leaves a few things out...

You've really been pushing it hard; do you get a cut of the sales?
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
As to being practical,i use it for adults to produce the word from a book test.it never fails to get the desired reaction...for children I use it to reveal a happy birthday greeting.all his career ron london used it to exhibit a cartoon sketch of himself on a HUGE slate as a finish(they remembered it)...as to things "left out" mark wilson calls it "that secret something."and yes,an improvement has been made in what you have in your book that speeds up the revelation..."pushing it" means that I think highly enough of it to recommend that others give it a try.for $10 what do you want,the vanishing statue of liberty? we'll pass over your insulting last words.they aren't in keeping with the spirit of this forum.many secrets are written up somewhere in an old magic book long out of print.not everybody can be as lucky as you to possess it...putting it out as a single subject booklet focusses on it.have a little empathy for the novice just starting out who doesn't own any books.but the thing I object to most is your tone.have you made any contributions to magic literature? how many magic books have you authored?was it really necessary for you to drop down upon me?...save your $10 and buy a new spark plug...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
That doesn't have anything to do with practical...

It would be a good idea to mention it uses chemicals, don't you think?

That speed improvement should be mentioned; it'd be a good selling point, don't you think?

Insulting? I thought I was being nice considering you've been spaming several threads for several days; I was just curious as to why.

Novices just starting out should buy books, not single release items. If they have $10, they can buy some great novice books. Don't you think?

As for contributions as an "author," I am going through some old books now and mining some effects to sell as single subject booklets. They'll be on Lybrary.com for $9 each next week. I'll be back to recommend to others to give it a try in the buy and sell forum where it doesn't belong, and three or four others for good measure. I hope you buy some.

Weird, I would have thought you'd want me to donate my $10 to the collection plate or a charitable cause....

s
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
It was my inability to find the proper place to list,i wasn't spamming.i'd put it in a section,dave would kindly inform me that it was the incorrect thread and pull it down.it took a few tries,that resulted in the duplication.(i'm no internet whiz,i can't even understand the PM system).being an effect w/a slate made it difficult to conform.we finally found the right spot.people should buy what suits their fancy,are you the book police?.maybe you haven't heard,books are becoming obsolete,especially in magic...young people now learn via video.you're entitled to your opinion but when your stuff gets published you'll find out it's no easy road to get the consumer to put up his money. mr.tilley's booklets come with vid demos and tutorials,very helpful to the student.for years the abbott's catalog listed the slate and didn't feel obligated to disclose details related to the method. the vid demo and what's in the above post amounts to a lotta free information and ideas.lagniappe...BTW your above post amounts to a commercial for yourself,but we'll not go into that...
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
My sincere thanks to Café members who PMed me in support for alerting them to worthwhile material...
Circuit_Breaker
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Circuit_Breaker
Sponge, can you name the book you learned this spirit slate method from? Some people think if a magic book is old and out of print it must be expensive. I find that is not the case most times and the books are reasonably priced. The market was flooded with books back then. I don't think naming the book would be any different than naming an individual trick that does the same effect. And I see that on here all the time in reply to an effect.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Chances are it won't be cheaper than $10 and it won't be in your possession immediately...
Circuit_Breaker
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Circuit_Breaker
I buy from Lybrary, they are great. I buy their individual tricks sometimes. But they also sell full magic books. And if the book he names is available with them, then it will be in my possession immediately. If it is only physically available even better because less people have access to it and I don't mind waiting. Patience is one of the barriers that keeps people from getting to good information.

One thing about individual tricks. They are worth it to me if they go over various methods of how the trick is done. Like a masterclass on one effect. This is rarely the case. But most times other methods are discussed indirectly, like saying it is not done with tape or magnets, for the given effect.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Here's my concern with books.like record albums,they can cantain two good items and a bunch of filler.not everybody's the beatles.single subject booklets,as you state,concentrate on a specific effect.they(in the case of the above mentioned)can contain a vid demo,so you see exactly what you're getting,a pdf that can be hard copied and a vid tutorial that includes improvements,refinements,touches,additions,updates,and a routine making it viable in our current time frame.three of such effects can constitute an entire act(for as little as $30...recently a friend gave me a copy of THE ART OF ASTONISHMENT #1.to my dismay,it held absolutly nothing for me.fussy, quirky one-on-one stuff not to my taste or my audiences.selling it at the past magic castle swapmeet for $30 was a welcomed solution as far as putting it to use,save using it for a doorstop or trivet...now as to space,books take up a lot of it.byron walker had to shore up the foundation of his house when it began to sink under the weight of his extensive collection.things are not that bad here but I'm Xerox copying what I need from books/magi mags and dumping them(perhaps I have the very book you seek).watch the SPIRIT SLATE demo vid,as it contains a subtle improvement probably not in the old book.consider it a gift from me.i have recouped my $10 investment and can afford such largess...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Spirit slate (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL