The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Non-Magic Trick Magic Book? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

theamazingash
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of theamazingash
I recently finished reading Maximum Entertainment 2.0 by Ken Weber, and loved it. I am looking for similar magic theory books, where magic tricks can be taught, but it is not the focus.

I found it very interesting about how to be your own director, different types of reactions and magic moments, entertainment success, scripting, rehearsing, voice and language, humour, music, sound and lighting.

All these things really fascinate me, and I would love to know your favourite books similar to this one, for me to read! Thanks in advance!
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Strong Magic and Scripting Magic 1&2 are fantastic!
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Search this writers you will find something for you in at least one of them (if not all...)

Juan Tamariz

Derren Brown

Dariel Fitzkee

Darwyn Ortiz

Pete McCabe

Arturo de Ascanio (the mentor of Juan Tamariz)

Henning Helms

Tommy Wonder

Some good books on acting, perfomance and drama will give you lot of tools to enhance the experience that you are giving to your spectators.

And Leading with your head by Gary Kurtz, this in my opinion is a must, a lot of very useful techniques in a nutshell.

Cristóbal
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
-The Memory Book- Lorayne
-Secrets of Mind Power- Lorayne
Remembering People- Lorayne
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Might as well mention my memoir ("rememoir" according to Mel Brooks) - Before I Forget.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
To expand on previous posts ...

Quote:
On Nov 25, 2019, weirdwizardx wrote:
Juan Tamariz

The Five Points in Magic, The Magic Way, and the Magic Rainbow are all mostly dedicated to theory/philosophy of magic.

Quote:
Derren Brown

Pure Effect, and Absolute Magic are his - they are out of print and expensive. His public books, Mind Tricks and Confessions of a Conjuror I believe, have some theory/philosophy in them but not much, as they're aimed at lay audiences.

Quote:
Dariel Fitzkee

Ah yes, the man who created Vegas Magic(tm). I kid - but his opinion does seem to come across as saying that magic is only interesting if it also includes music and ladies in skimpy clothes.

Quote:
Darwyn Ortiz

Strong Magic is a good book, but I am of the opinion that Maximum Entertainment is better. I haven't gotten to Designing Miracles yet but it's on the list.

Quote:
Pete McCabe

Scripting Magic 1 & 2 should be read by everyone who wants to be a serious performer.

Quote:
Arturo de Ascanio (the mentor of Juan Tamariz)

Magic of Ascanio - The Structural Conception of Magic - Excellent book. I haven't read the others are they are more geared towards tricks as I understand it.

Quote:
Henning Helms

*Nelms. Great book - basically codified what I was already thinking in regards to performance theory. Helped streamline my thinking.

Quote:
Tommy Wonder

Books of Wonder Vols 1 & 2 - several tricks taught, but read through and learn why he structured each routine the way he did. Brilliant thinker in that regard.

The Memory Arts by the Trustmans goes over not only the general memory systems available, but also gives many references to historic and contemporary resources for the student of memory.

Eugene Burger's books teach tricks but, like Tommy Wonder, also delve into this theories and philosophies.

Paul Brook's "Alchemical Tools" is another great book in regards to philosophy/theory. It teaches tricks but more importantly it teaches how to perform the tricks in a magical/mysterious way.

Jamy Ian Swiss' books, other than the one that's all book reviews, are a font of ideas on how to perform magic well. Vanishing Inc sells them as a collection called "The Works" I believe.

Our Magic by Maskelyne and Devant - One of the first "magic theory" books. Worth reading if only to see how little has truly changed in the magic world over time.

Robert Neale's books are good as well. He is very philosophical in his writing, and somewhat whimsical.

The Astonishing Essays (minus maybe the Prison Magician's) are also great resources for the thinking behind the show. I've enjoyed all the ones I've read so far.

Oh! A. Bandit's "A Secret Has Two Faces" is an interesting delve into the idea of magic as art. Written by Derek Delguadio and Glenn Kaino.

I think that's a pretty decent list to keep you busy for some time.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
They're not teaching any tricks and typically not even any theory but some of the magic biography books are also a fun read. One, in particular, that's like reading a novel is the John Scarne biography "Odds Against Me". It's no longer in print but can be found second-hand for a reasonable price.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I liked Dariel Fitzkee's Magic by Misdirection.

I recall appreciating Henning Nelms' book on Showmanship, as well.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
If non-magic trick is a must requirement, I will put my vote on The Magic of Ascanio Vol. 1
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Thanks for the Paul Brook référence I didn’t have. It looks great.
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
I'd recommend the following:

Transformations (Creating Magic Out Of Tricks) by Larry Hass
Inspirations: Performing Magic with Excellence by Larry Hass
The Show Doctor by Jeff McBride
S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Non-Magic Trick Magic Book? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL