The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JustinF
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of JustinF
Hi everyone,
I'm Justin
I'm not sure I can call myself a magician or anything. I've enjoyed magic since I was a kid and presently have a successful job as a software developer. But I do love magic and spend far more than I probably should buying tricks and gimmicks since I don't perform. I would like to perform but I'm just not sure how to get there. I'm also interested in designing tricks and routines, not that I have anything worth showing as of yet.
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
50 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
Welcome, Justin.

Avoid the gimmicks, buy the books/Ebooks of magicians you like. Ask yourself "what areas of magic do I enjoy most," and focus on that.

I'm just a humble hobbyist, but card magic is what I like to watch, so that's what I like to learn. Smile

There's some awesome pros on here, who've forgotten more than I could ever know. So, take what I say with a grain of salt. Smile

Brian
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
JustinF

Welcome to the magic Café forum. I imagine we all spend too much on magic. You are in good company
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome JustinF,

Not everyone here performs.

That said, there is nothing quite like performing a trick to really understand a trick. A lot of being a good Magician is using the Magic to connect with people. Imagine a friendly audience as you practice. Also imagine being more concerned about how your Magic elevates their day rather than how to impress them.

Lots of skilled technicians don't connect and don't entertain as they hope to.

Everyone has to jump in at some point. I've had my share of poor performances (one of them recently). I lived and the people watching were very kind. They really do want you to succeed.
Audiences aren't that scary.

Practice till you feel ready and run it by a couple of friends. How would you approach the subject for a larger group, jump in and offer? Ask a friend to ask you to do a trick they liked for a few more friends?
Where will you get the props from and how will you put it away. One trick is enough for your first foray.

Best of luck for starting your new year off right.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL