The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Card Studio » » MPC cards came - a review (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
I recently made a few prototype decks through MPC: MakePlayingCards.com

Initially I heard some negative reviews, both here and in person from some friends.

I got two decks done on their (M31) Linen finish, poker sized, 54 cards with plain, white tucks.

The picture I took was of me, taken on an iPhone 11, edited hastily, plugged into an app to whitewash the background, add an effect and some text.
I uploaded to their website, clicked a few boxes, my cards came 8 days later.

Obviously, I didn't put a lot of work into making these. I just wanted to get something (anything) done, so I could have a metric to base my expectations on for a bigger project.

The result though is quite nice! The cards came quickly, the colors are beautiful and they were cut very well so my art is in tact and they're well symmetrical.
Additionally, while you will notice the card stock is not in the same league as USPCC, I was led to believe they'd be printed on wet newspaper or giant sheets of cardboard. This couldn't be further from the truth. It's true, it's a diminished quality from what you're used to with the major brands, but I have no problem with any of my "moves"

Out of the box, fans, spreads, faro shuffles, hotshot cut, double lifts, all variety of fidget moves: I had zero problems.

The colors look great.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the standard faces. The courts and the pips look like the generic faces from dollar store and knockoff card brands, but that's perfectly fine as I'm sure a spectator either doesn't know the difference or else doesn't care. Moreover, I'm gearing up for a full custom with MPC (for personal use) so the faces will be a non-point moving forward.

TL;DR - despite negative reviews and a website that looks like it was made on GEOCITIES, my experience with MPC was altogether pleasant and I will be doing further business with them moving forward. It is important to manage your expectations when dealing with MPC, as you're not getting a Bike deck or a Theory 11 deck. But I threw together some BS on my phone and had a workable deck of cards with my branding logo in my hands in only 8 days for a couple of bucks.
I paid $15 per deck plus shipping and this included the tuck cases.

If you want to see pics of the deck I made or a video, check my INSTA: @psychicsuperstar

Best,
-a

Smile
keilunmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of keilunmagic
I've used MPC several times over the years, mostly to make prototypes or gaffs and while the M31 stock is not on par with Q1 USPCC I'd say that it's *** good. Over the years they have greatly improved the quality and today you get excellent results with the plus of nigh to zero alignment issues. If your design is centered, cards will be printed accordingly, no printing misalignment. Plus their new "Beta Finish" is adding more quality value to the cards. I've been gifted a One Deck from MPC, printed with Beta Finish on M32 Linen Air Light stock and I believe it's better than USPCC. Faro, fanning, DL, spreads are on par with the Q1 and split a lot better than Bicycle Elites (those who make lots of gaffs know the "black"issue I'm talking about). Sure, the website is ugly af, and the colours are slightly off from USPCC when using the same Pantone values (different printers and process), but for gaffs they are very acceptable. The better quality files you provide, the better results you get.
Alex Day
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Alex Day
I think I was just negitive because I make cards. Once you have found making cards from scratch the posabilities are limitless. Plus it's cheaper.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Card Studio » » MPC cards came - a review (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL