The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Reward Method (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darcy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Darcy
Hey Guys, I just have a quick question about the reward method for training my doves. I am currently hand feeding my doves to train them to fly back and so far it is working great. But I was just wondeirng if there is a point where I can put the food back into the cage?

Thank you very much
Darcy
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Possibly, it depends on how the bird reacts to you throwing it out and it knowing there's no food in your hand or if it is not hungry.

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Animal training using rewards does not require a reward every time. Random rewards do work. The main thing about using the reward system is to remember that a small reward will get the same response as a large reward. Don't fill the animal up on rewards. Then the game is over.

Enjoy your birds!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Darcy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Darcy
O thank you very much, I wouldn't have known that!!

Darcy
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I have a squirrel that I am busy training now and just to ad to what Bob said.
I feed it as normal but when I do training the reward is small but it knows it is a reward. Doves are a little different (I have them too) but an example would be to give my squirrel a little piece of carrot which is not on its normal diet as a reward. She loves the carrot but only gets it when she behaves. LOL
Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
Are you training the squirrel for a pet or for your performances? If for your performances, it is a novel and catchy idea. Quite unusual.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Wayne,

I have often wondered why a wider latitude of animals is not used in magic. The reward method can be used to train so many different kinds of animals.

The sugar glider is one that looks fun. Last night Lucy and I were dicussing the use of a llama. On some golf courses they are used as caddies because they are easily trained. We use geese, goats, horses and hampsters plus the normal doves and rabbit now. Others use tigers. Lucy and I just have a deal that we won't use an animal in the act that is a threat to any other animal in the act.

Bob
The Amazed Wiz
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
For magic although it is a great pet.
The people love her and so do I but she is very naughty. doesn't like any small spaces where she can not run but the carrot makes it worthwhile.
It is really the last thing anyone expects. Not a rabbit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Reward Method (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL