The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book for the lovers of card magic; Lorenz Schär - Cards Against Reality (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
A new book was recently published for lovers of card magic. Cards against reality is the first book of swizz magician Lorenz Schär. The name might not ring a bell to most of you but if you are anyway serious into card magic you have encountered some of his earlier contributions. Schär material has been published in Steve Beams Semiautomatic serie, he has attended the spanish Escorial card magic cathering for almost a decade and has also been invited and performed at 4F convention in Buffalo. But most of you are probably familiar with his contribution to Denis Behr's Conjuring database where he is one of the main contributors.

The book contains about 50% of new sleights and concepts and rest is routines. The highlight for most will definately be the "Longitudinal Slide Shift". It would easily sell tons of copies as single move download. The move is truly a game changer when it comes to passes. This pass was originally invented for stand up performance, but it works equally well in close up and also sitting on a table. It doesn't rely on the mechanics of classical pass and the thinking is totally different. Because of this the pass avoids totally the common "dipping motion" that is typical with most of the passes. Because of this the shift can be done quite slowly and angles are also really really good.

Satisfriction is a chapter devoded to controlling single or multiple cards with jogs. Some of the stuff here are rather clever since they allow magician to easily keep the jogs in place even if the deck is turned end for end.

From the trick section the highlight is Schär's closer; "Coincidencia Banal". A triple coincidence routine done with just one deck. The routine is inspired by the work of Juan Tamariz and Pit Hartling. To my knowledge this is the first published version that has Hartlings blessing on using his ending.

Here are what some other card magicians has said about the book.

Magicians: If you want something very good to read for the New Year I recommend „Cards Against Reality“ by Switzerland’s Lorenz Schär: An excellent (and beautiful) little book full of well thought-out, strong and innovative effects, sleights and ideas.
— Pit Hartling

Lorenz has been an excellent "brainstorming partner" in the past few years. Now he decided to release some of his ideas and whereas you're a card magician or not, you should jump on this book, because it is the perfect example of how good magic is made out of hundreds of little touches, subtleties, thoughtful technique and clever thinking.
— Pierric

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed everything in the book - the material is fantastic, and I must tell you that in every routine I learned at least one move, subterfuge, or ruse that was entirely new to me!
— Jack Carpenter

Cards Against Reality is one of the best well structured and very well defined books regarding magic I have read in a long time. You are to be congratulated!!!— Howard Hamburg

The book is okay, but the profreading is epic.
— Steve Beam

The book is available only directly from the author www.lorenzschaer.ch/book 45$ + shipping
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Is there a place where we can see this shift in action ?
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2020, Rachmaninov wrote:
Is there a place where we can see this shift in action ?

Sadly at the moment only in person from someone who has learned it. It was a hit few years ago at Escorial convention so if you know anyone going there regularly you could ask them?
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Thanks for pointing out something that most of probably hadn't heard of through the usual channels. Looks like this is a preorder right now (?)

PS. I like the comment from Steve Beam "The book is okay, but the profreading is epic" (Proofreading spelled incorrectly).
lorenzschaer
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of lorenzschaer
@korttihai_82
Thank you so much for the advertising and the kind words!

@Rachmaninov

I only have a very old video of me doing the pass, quality is bad but you will get the idea: https://youtu.be/QKcWGFFBop4

@wordsworth

That is also one of my favorite quotes. :-D

Everyone who wants to know more about the content: https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/book/2092
And here: https://www.lorenzschaer.ch/book

If you have any questions about the book, just write me an email: zaubern@lorenzschaer.ch
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
I’m sold.. Just ordered my copy!
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of magojose|
It's an awsome book! It has a lovely minimal design and an "indie feel" (maybe due Lorenz is an art student in Switzerland)
As a pass fanatic myself I love his Longitudinal Side Shift (to the point I translate it
To Spanish for Las Jornadas del Escorial)
His Satisfriction is a very subtle move or refinement that you could use everytime
On the routine hand, all of them are very well thought and for the real work
From the non card section I was using his "roto-knive" a couple of years (with his kindly permission of course)
As a summary, if you love magic this little book (in size, not quality) is a must. In my case I follow the reading with cards on hands and was a journey full of joy
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
I just received my copy. I’m working on his “ Longitudinal Slide Shift”. I have seen it performed and to be honest this sleight is the main reason I purchased the book. I love that this sleight does what a pass does, but has no bad angles. If you haven’t ordered your copy yet, you’ll kick yourself in the future.
rodrigez
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rodrigez
Lorenz is one of the good guys. The book is filled with real world material, good tips and his thinking. Do love his follow the leader routine.
Indistinguishable
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Indistinguishable
The book has now been reviewed on Unbiased Magic Reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHd1yp4uk9I&t=66s

>>> Seriously recommend you take a look at this channel - it is so different from most of the review channels. He really seems to know his magic - not only having plainly studied and road-tested the product on review (IE not just a glorified 'unboxing') but also usually referencing a trick's origins, comparable effects etc etc.

Well worth working through the back catalogue of reviews. It's been going since end of last year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book for the lovers of card magic; Lorenz Schär - Cards Against Reality (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL