The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Open it or let it closed (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
If I have a prediction in a sealed envelope, I sometimes give the spectator the choice at the end:
to open or keep the envelope closed and therefore never to know whether the prediction has come true or not, so that it will remain a mystery forever.
This method is not mine, but I once read it somewhere.
Is there anyone who knows who first published or used this (Phil Goldstein?) ?
lancenicolai58
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of lancenicolai58
I do not know who first published it, but Peter Turner uses it in his second penguin lecture.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I think this idea essentially came from a Derren Brown TV special. Except he just gets up from the table and leaves. If someone can cite an antecedent to that, I’ll stand corrected.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I've seen a very brief video snippet of Max Maven doing something very similar. Envelope on stage with a question mark, apparently been there the whole performance. He says something like, "In that envelope is a prediction. If that prediction is right, I wouldn't have to do anything, I could just let you open it. In fact - I wouldn't even need to be here." Then he just walks off stage.

I have no idea what show it's from but I think about that a lot.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2020, WitchDocChris wrote:
I've seen a very brief video snippet of Max Maven doing something very similar. Envelope on stage with a question mark, apparently been there the whole performance. He says something like, "In that envelope is a prediction. If that prediction is right, I wouldn't have to do anything, I could just let you open it. In fact - I wouldn't even need to be here." Then he just walks off stage.

I have no idea what show it's from but I think about that a lot.

Excellent. That does sound vaguely familiar, now that you mention it. I saw Max’s full length show a long, long time ago. Thank you!
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
As a mentioned in my original post, I thought I read or saw it from Phil Goldstein (Max Maven).
I asked the same question at another forum and there they came up with a TED talk from 2007.
That could well be the source.
https://www.ted.com/talks/j_j_abrams_the......t-348180
Max Maven
View Profile
V.I.P.
266 Posts

Profile of Max Maven
2007 is a late entry.

My piece was established in the original version of my theater show, “ThinkingIn Person,” in 1988.
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Waterloophai that TedTalk is wondrous!!! Astonishing talk!
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2020, Max Maven wrote:
2007 is a late entry.
My piece was established in the original version of my theater show, “ThinkingIn Person,” in 1988.

Hi Mr. Goldstein,
Thank you very much for the clarification. What I originally thought turns out to be correct. (see the first post in this thread)
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
It's Jon Allen's "Schrodinger's Card".

Barry
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2020, mindmagic wrote:

Barry

haha. this is also the first time I seeing this idea.
Vanishing.inc gave away this routine as a free preview of Allen's remarkable book, Experience: The Magic of Jon Allen.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2020, asherfox wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2020, mindmagic wrote:

Barry

haha. this is also the first time I seeing this idea.
Vanishing.inc gave away this routine as a free preview of Allen's remarkable book, Experience: The Magic of Jon Allen.

Yes, that's where you'll find it written up. Excellent book.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Guys,

My premise for 'Schrodinger's Card' came after seeing J.J. Abrams' TED Talk and was, indeed, published in my book.

I've found that the majority of people who signed the card choose to not open it, while the majority of other people want it opened.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Does Anyone not open it right then???? Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Open it or let it closed (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL