The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Ring Libraries (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I'm curious as to how many Rings have a Ring library of books, lecture notes etc.
If your Ring has a library, could you please respond to these questions:
1. How many books are in your library. As a gauge of reference, would your collection fill one five-shelf bookcase or, say, a range of three or more five-shelf bookcases?
2. If the books in your library are stored in large file boxes (16.2 x 12.5 x 10.5 inches), how many boxes are there?
2. How did your Ring acquire the items in the collection: a) from funds in the treasury or b) donations from members or members's families upon their passing?
3. Where is the collection housed?
4. How have books been acquired? Purchased by funds in he Ring treasury? Donated by members or members' families after they pass away?
5. How do you handle circulation of the books among the members?

In IBM Ring 103 in Norfolk, Virginia, here's how we would answer the above questions:
1. The collection is stored in 11 plastic boxes roughly 16.2 x 12.5 x 10.5 inches.
2. Books were bought with funds from the Ring treasury and from donations from members.
3. The collection has been kept by various members in their homes.
4. There are approximately 75 hardbound books in our library, 57 softbound books including various lecture notes.
5. Members ask the librarian (usually a volunteer who has space for all the books) to bring a book to the next meeting (e.g. at the February meeting, a member might ask the librarian to bring say _The Tarbell Course in Magic, Volume 2_ to the February meeting. The member would have the book for one month and return it at the March meeting.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
dbjb
View Profile
New user
Kansas City, MO
4 Posts

Profile of dbjb
If anyone is interested in building up their Ring or Assembly Library, we have helped a couple of Rings do this and offer very reasonable pricing on some of the classics. All are used books that we have acquired over time that seem to be on only moderate interest to our customer base. Serious inquiries welcome and I am happy to provide the name and contact info for the Ring President and Librarian we have most recently woked with. Want to keep magic and the printed word alive and well. - Dan
Bradbury Books & Beyond
www.bradburybooks.com
Dan and Jobeth Bradbury
4545 Wornall Road #805
Kansas City, MO 64111
dan@bradburybooks.com
Phone: 816-531-2468
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Am Gary Salisbury of San Diego, CA. I am a member of the Board of Directors for Ring 76 and have served as the club's librarian for the past 3 years. When I was asked to serve as club librarian, the entire library was stored in 10 dilapidated cardboard boxes in a former member's rodent infested garage. The first thing I did was to clean & sanitize everything then inventory all the books, VHS tapes, DVDs, lecture notes, etc. There was no checkout system so I implemented a standard library check out with cards and envelopes on every book, tape, and disk. I then went on to implement a PLEX server where all 2,000 videos were ripped and made available for streaming. (Not download but streaming to stay legal.)

I have been actively engaged in increasing the size of the library and now have over 1,000 books, 2,000 videos, and 3,000 magazines. Those efforts are ongoing and will not cease.

1. How many books are in your library.

2. If the books in your library are stored in large file boxes (16.2 x 12.5 x 10.5 inches), how many boxes are there?
Everything was stored in about 50 plastic flip-lid bins. I am converting the 3rd garage bay into a dedicated Ring library with books shelves. We are going to make it look like a replica of the foyer at the Magic Castle complete with fireplace and a secret door.

2. How did your Ring acquire the items in the collection:
I have increased the library solely from donations.

3. Where is the collection housed?
At my home and is available to all members 7x24.

4. How have books been acquired?
Sounds the same as item 2. I have increased the library solely from donations.

5. How do you handle circulation of the books among the members?
Requests are made via email and I bring the item to the next Ring or Board meeting. Also, members can come to my home at anytime to pick up. There is a 4 item, 30 day limit on check outs.

You can contact me at librarian@ring76.com if you have any further questions.

Click here to view attached image.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Here is what I am currently working on:

Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
My goal is to make our new library look like the foyer to the Magic Castle complete with secret door. Also, the room will be gaffed for seances.

Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Here is the secret door for those who have never been to the Magic Castle in Hollywood. My bookcases may be slightly different. I want to do doors where the fixed panels are so I can store out dated VHS tapes for archival purposes.

Just walk up to the brass owl sitting on the bookcase and say "Open Sesame!" Now, where can I get an owl?

Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Very cool!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Ring Libraries (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL