The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chalice Chop Cup - Better or not? You can make one. (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Max T. Oz
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Max T. Oz
There are a variety of Chopped Cups on the market.

Some are just plain metal cups, some leather dice cups, even the odd wooden or metal Chalice.

I always liked the look of a Chalice. Plus the stem offers some different handling possibilities.

Below is quick vid that shows the Chalice and balls I made. (and how to make it). You can do the same for around $20.

Do you folks like the aesthetic look of a Chalice or prefer a more plain looking cup?

Have a look as I'm only putting the vid up for a short time for Magic Café people. While it doesn't expose any actual handling, one could deduce how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIURiP_r4EU

:-)
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Sweet!

I have a couple of chop cups, but one of my dislikes is that they look like magic cups. The chalice cups at least look a bit less like a strange prop. I think this leads to suspecting the cup when it looks “proppy.”

Thank you for sharing this video.

Patrick
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Or you could get this chalice.

GO HERE:

https://icklepicklemagic.com/index.php?r......chop+cup
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2020, Jerry wrote:
Or you could get this chalice.

GO HERE:

https://icklepicklemagic.com/index.php?r......chop+cup

Now that, looks like a prop.
The short Pringles cans are ready to use with your chop ball. And they come with potato chips. You can make a chop ball by wrapping a 'get in aluminum foil.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Or a PK ring and use any cup you want.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
With a PK ring you have to hold the cup with a strangle grip, which looks unnatural and limits you options.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
With a chalice? You could hold it quite elegantly, in fact any cup can be held in many ways still allowing things to get done.
A little imagination is all that's required. It helps if you can make your own balls, then you can do some very interesting things.

Chop cups are great, don't get me wrong. I have a couple, and always look for more.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
There are other options to a pk ring. it is a mag. gimmick and it can allow you to grip a cup in a very natural position.
I agree a lot of these cups look like movie props for a King George and Cleopatra type movie. I prefer more natural looking cups.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2020, Max T. Oz wrote:
There are a variety of Chopped Cups on the market.

Some are just plain metal cups, some leather dice cups, even the odd wooden or metal Chalice.

I always liked the look of a Chalice. Plus the stem offers some different handling possibilities.

Below is quick vid that shows the Chalice and balls I made. (and how to make it). You can do the same for around $20.

Do you folks like the aesthetic look of a Chalice or prefer a more plain looking cup?

Have a look as I'm only putting the vid up for a short time for Magic Café people. While it doesn't expose any actual handling, one could deduce how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIURiP_r4EU

:-)

Hey Max, the link no longer appears to be active. Is it posted anywhere to see? Thanks!

David
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I made a set of cups and balls using insulated, hard plastic, 32oz "Red Solo Cups" (knockoffs but they look exactly like the "Solo" brand). I also put a 1" round, thin neo magnet and held it in place using "White Flex Seal" to hide it inside. It works well. The props do not look "magic-y" and go well with my baseball themed patter.

Like the chalice idea, most anything could be made into a chop cup. I have even converted 2 "Jiggernaut" jiggers into "Chopped Jiggers"
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mark Levenson
View Profile
New user
New York
24 Posts

Profile of Mark Levenson
Fully agree about the importance of not looking like a prop. However, sometimes a prop is exactly what you need. I bought the chalice cup precisely to use at a Passover Seder with sponge-ball frogs as the balls and a giant sponge frog as the final load. The chalice looked like it belonged on that table.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chalice Chop Cup - Better or not? You can make one. (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL