The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Possible Homemade Gaffs (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
Hey all,

I’ve been splitting cards and making gaffs. I’ve found a decent spray adhesive creates a better feel than rubber cement. However, the cards still buckle or bubble when they are bent too far (same with rubber cement).

My question is, how good can homemade gaffs get? I’m trying to determine ifs something I am doing wrong or could do better. Alternatively, maybe what I have is as good as it gets outside of buying machine made gaffs.

Thank you!

Eldini
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
You can make them yourself as good as the ones you can buy depending on what you want to put into it. I have been converting Bicycle Standard / Rider Backs into Phoenix Back Gaffs for years and they are top quality. Here is a great place to start before you get into buying the more expensive devices used by the pros and intermediates like myself.

https://www.lybrary.com/the-gaff-factory......750.html

This will introduce you to much better materials like DMT over wet glues to get that perfect "snap" in your gaff cards.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
keilunmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of keilunmagic
After several years making gaffs I can say you can make almost perfect gaffs, achieving great results with even simple materials like school glue. Problem is, when you get down the rabbit hole you find yourself shopping for glues, tools, jugs and you end up better equipped than a professional... yet you don’t need any of that, just a lot of practice. Over time you will learn how to eyeball the perfect alignment you previously could get only with a tool. Agreed that DMT is the perfect way to glue gaffs, the learning curve is steep and you will get frustrated a lot before getting it right, but the satisfaction of handling a perfect gaff made by you is priceless. (For the rest, they say, there’s MasterCard)
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
Thank you for the replies! This is exactly the information I was looking for.

It is a strange obsession indeed. But one day I’ll get it right!

Eldini
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
For more info on gaffing tools, check out my recent review.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=113

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2020, Eldini wrote:
It is a strange obsession indeed. But one day I’ll get it right

Strange indeed but when you make that first N-Stripper Deck and pull your aces in one pull, Kings in the next then all 4 Queens, OR you cut your first deck of end strippers with just enough of a brief that only you notice it is there, and you look at your pile of fresh personalized double facers that only you know what they are for... You know it was worth the journey.

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Possible Homemade Gaffs (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL