The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Differences in decks of cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tyrael07
View Profile
Regular user
Surabaya , Indonesia
105 Posts

Profile of tyrael07
Hi guys,

I`m just starting out and got a quick question for you.
Do different brand of decks differ in terms of handling? e.g.: when trying to do a double,does one brand (bad one) slip easily than a well known brand like bikes etc? Because I found it so hard to do it, wondering is it just me or the deck Smile

Thanks
The impossible things are often the untried.

Magic is not what you see.
It's about what you make others see.
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
Tyrael07,

Every different brand has its own pros and cons. Bikes are the most common cards used where I'm from, but I'm sure that differs depending on where you live. As far as the cards slipping, that will go away with practice. Your handling shouldn't allow the cards to slip apart. That's easier said than done, but in time, you will get it.

I guess what I'm saying is, practice with the most popular brand where you live. Chances are, that is the brand that someone will hand to you at a party and ask you to "do a trick" with. Once you are comfortable with the DL, you should be able to perform it with any deck.
tyrael07
View Profile
Regular user
Surabaya , Indonesia
105 Posts

Profile of tyrael07
Oh ok thanks for the input. I guess I`ll just have to practice and practice.
I just got myself the first card college and it really explains a lot about the types of cards and hands.

Thanks again Smile

el toro
View Profile
Veteran user
Across the atlantic
325 Posts

Profile of el toro
The best cards to do DL with is Bee cards. A little misalignment is invisible and it looks so nice. The problem is that they worst cards to do almost all the other sleights with. Almost impossible to do false counts and a reversed card in the deck sticks out like a sore thumb. So, if you want to do a trick where the only sleight is a DL, use Bee cards. If not, stay away from them. Did this help you? probably not !
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
The most popular brand is Bicycle. But as Daniel mentioned, as you familiarize yourself with cards in general, you can then literally do a DL with any brand of cards in any condition and keeping the two cards in perfect alignment. To competently perform a DL does require months of practice, no matter which method you use. Even a simple DL takes months of practice because at first you will be very nervous and this is the main reason for the cards to split. This nervousness can only be overcome with constant practice.
tyrael07
View Profile
Regular user
Surabaya , Indonesia
105 Posts

Profile of tyrael07
Thanks for the replies.
What I`m trying to ask is, do I need to constantly re-adjust my handling if I`m handed a different deck of cards? Because I assume different cards will be somewhat different in handling regardless of new/used or different brands.
But I guess the question is answered. Smile

GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
The biggest difference in cards is mainly in their size. Poker-sized cards are normal and most common, and bridge-sized are smaller and easier to handle if you have smaller hands.

I usually learn flourishes with a bridge sized and then try it with a poker deck when I get the hang of it. Also, practically all gimmicked trick decks are Bicycle design, so you may want to take that into consideration.
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
The answer to your last question is yes. Some decks handle slightly differently than others. The thing I used to do is have some effects that require little if no sleights or simple sleights that allow you to handle the cards for awhile. That gives you time to get a feel for the cards and then move on to other effects.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
magicmanx
View Profile
New user
Working in Benidorm Spain
47 Posts

Profile of magicmanx
Also of course, if you get used to using Bicycle cards to practice your sleights if you move on to needing gaffed cards, they usually come in bicycle.
tyrael07
View Profile
Regular user
Surabaya , Indonesia
105 Posts

Profile of tyrael07
Are gaffed cards = gimmicked cards?
Bicycle cards are poker size or bridge size?
There are only 2 sizes right?
sorry for asking so many questions. hee hee

paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi
Bikes = poker and bridge - poker are larger
Gaffed = gimmick of some sort - can be just one card or the whole deck.

Ask as many questions as you like, but be aware that as this part of the forom is open then answers will only guide you and not give away an effect.

Shorthand is quite often used i.e.

TT = T**** T**
DL = D***** Lift
ITR = I******** Th**** Reel

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Some cards have very different finishes which can make them more slippery - or dynamically less slippery. Some cheap decks have all of the slide of two sheets of sandpaper held face to face!

One thing I have noticed over the years is that Hoyle cards are notoriously much more slippery than Bicycles, Bee, Steamboats, Squeezers or just about anything that doesn't have a liberal coating of WD-40!

So, for spreads on the table, they are wonderful, but for in the hands work, they can be a bit more difficult than Bikes or Bees.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
tyrael07
View Profile
Regular user
Surabaya , Indonesia
105 Posts

Profile of tyrael07
Thanks for the explanations Darrow! and Paula too Smile
though there are still terms that I don't understand,takes more readings on the forums to get to know them better.

Magicman8
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
113 Posts

Profile of Magicman8
Well yeah, Everything takes more reaserch, practice questions, or something of that sort. It's tough isn't it?

Matthias
We go through life backwards. The past is visible and the future is cloudy, it seems we are walking backwards.-- Terry Pratchet
erniep33
View Profile
New user
Marysville, WA
72 Posts

Profile of erniep33
Also, some very cheap cards have an almost plastic like feel and in my opinion aren't good for much. They make me cringe, but I could be wrong. I'd reccomend getting a couple different decks of cards and playing around with them and how they feel. Once you get the basics of a sleight down, you should only need to do minor adjustments to compensate for varying deck conditions.
tyrael07
View Profile
Regular user
Surabaya , Indonesia
105 Posts

Profile of tyrael07
Okay thanks ernie

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-06-02 12:15, tyrael07 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
What I`m trying to ask is, do I need to constantly re-adjust my handling if I`m handed a different deck of cards?

This is almost the same question asked by every teenager who ever learned how to drive a car.

My best advice:

Just get out there and start doing it!

Once it becomes second nature (you only get there through practice) you won't have to worry about things like that. After that, except for the blatant differences (new vs. old, bordered vs. borderless, plastic vs. paper, etc...) no matter what deck you're given, your hands will know what to do.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tyrael07
View Profile
Regular user
Surabaya , Indonesia
105 Posts

Profile of tyrael07
Ok thanks for the car driving analogy
makes it easier to grasp the concept Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Differences in decks of cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL