The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Which billets do you use....? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
Annemann is quite specific that billets must come in the form of pads of paper measuring 2.25 by 3.5 inches. How many people stick to this 'rule'? Do you cut your own billets to size or buy ready-made pads? If so, which is the most convenient size and brand? (I'm based in the UK so maybe some of you British mentalists might be able to make specific recommendations).

best wishes
Huw
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Hew,
I use blank on both sides index cards ( 3x5 inches)and cut them in half.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
I often use my business cards, index cards as per Tony's suggestion, and 3 1/2-inch square colored memo sheets. In this month's Genii, Barrie Richardson has detailed a very practical billet switch using business cards in his monthly column.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
I had kinko make pads for me in those measurments roughly. I use them for a number or effects. They also have my name on them with my phone number. At the end some keep them as a memento.

E-Leoni.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Docc Hilford points out in his video "Faster Than A Speeding Billet" that the "ideal billet size" and "paper type" depends mainly on you, as the Reader and your comfort (and ability) to handle it. Most of the time I use Business Card blanks or a small 2.5" squared pre-printed pad (has the zodiac signs set in a circle... allows for alternate use for CT and Swami applications.)

One of my favorite papers is stock Post it Pads. BUT there are some other things to consider here... if you are doing "pellets" (as mentioned in some of the old books) vs. any of the standard billet folds rice/rolling papers work best (especially if you are doing anything like a L&D test using dissolvo or flash paper)

Another thing to think about (especially if you have pads put together) is the texture of the paper, how quiet it is when you grab your peek, etc. I will frequently use differing textures on a single pad so I can I.D. one particular slip... say the one with the Dead Person's name on it or something along that line. I've also used "NO TEAR" paper along similar lines.

I'll preface this last note by saying that a.) I used the basic principle prior to his introducing me to a "twist" on it; and b.) Millard's (Longman) application is a bit more elaborate (and cool), but a fold-over/two-sided business card and lend you some very powerful advantages. I'll leave it at that...
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
JChristensen
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
71 Posts

Profile of JChristensen
I too use 3" x 5" index cards cut in half, as suggested by Bob Cassidy. It's perfect for his excellent Name and Place routine.
mysterium
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
100 Posts

Profile of mysterium
Several excellent routines and techniques can be found in Richard Busch's "Peek Performances." It's a wealth of great info for billet workers.
Allen Gittelson
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
145 Posts

Profile of Allen Gittelson
I primarily use business cards (mine and/or theirs) as these are the most convenient and make the most sense in my working context. Of course, they are also used to promote my work. In the proper circumstances I may use other types of paper as well.

I also regularly get business cards of any kind that I see so that I may learn about them, their paper and handling properties, layout, etc. I've learned a lot from this practice. Also, as I've mentioned before, I use some applications I've learned from playing cards with business cards. Business cards are generally smaller than playing cards and as a result some of the handlings can be incredibly simpler to perform with business cards.

In thoughts,
Allen
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
I used to like Bob Cassidy's 3"x4.5" cut in half cards. Perhaps the best for most two- handed switches.

Now I exclusively use business cards so I can perform Obsidian Oblique and Lateque which are my billet weapons of choice. Also they seem more natural as I extract them always from my business card case.

-Alain Bellon
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
Huw,

I live in Leicester and use Wilkinson's for most of my Mentalism props, I am not sure if they are a national company or just a Midlands outlet though so you may not have them in Devon.

I always carry a 3" x 4" lined pad that they sell for 19p. I have found that if you buy two, remove the stiff back covers and then stick the pads back to back, you get a double sided, natural looking pad with covers thin enough to take an impression should you wish to add carbon paper. The pages tear out easily and are just the right size when folded twice (for my hands anyway). I have also found that I can perform Richard Busch's centre tear perfectly with them. Ok so they are lined but I have never been questioned and why would I??

I also recently bought Mark Strivings SUC and now carry that with me as well. Used in conjuction with my business cards and blank business card stock it is a winner.

Hope this helps

Scott
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
Quote:
On 2002-07-23 17:14, Allen Gittelson wrote:
I primarily use business cards (mine and/or theirs) as these are the most convenient and make the most sense in my working context.

I can see how business cards might seem more natural than paper billets. I presume they must be limiting when it comes to folding, palming, switching and tearing though...?

Huw
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Quote:
On 2002-07-24 04:57, Huw Collingbourne wrote:

I can see how business cards might seem more natural than paper billets. I presume they must be limiting when it comes to folding, palming, switching and tearing though...?

Huw

While they are less inflexible than regular notepad paper, business cards are still quite usable for standard switches and peek techniques as per Al Mann (Acidus and Acidus Plus) and Richard Busch (see Peek Performances). Gary Kurtz and others use business cards for center tears as well (although you better strengthen your fingers for the final tear.)

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Millard123
View Profile
Regular user
Millard Longman
174 Posts

Profile of Millard123
I often use a standard unlined 3X5 index card torn into quarters. Each quarter is then folded twice into a small billet that is extremely easy to finger palm and switch.

Standard index card stock is almost noiseless during the opening and reclosing of switched billets.

I also like that a fully opened billet of this size is easily hidden in my hand.

Millard
Millard Longman

See all my products at:
www.mevproshop.com
Millard123
View Profile
Regular user
Millard Longman
174 Posts

Profile of Millard123
When performing for groups, I use my own Acidus Novus.

I still sell an e-book that includes Acidus Novus and my own Ultimate Billet.

$12 gets you one.

Millard
Millard Longman

See all my products at:
www.mevproshop.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Which billets do you use....? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL