The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Insta Square by Martin Lewis (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2710 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Which leaves the question: why perform it if you haven't mastered it? Especially if you want to sell it, the performance should be convincing, right?! I remember Propdog had this issue before. The blonde guy performed a trick (can't remember which one) quite badly and the Café started yelling he should never perform again. I remember standing up for him because I thought the reaction here was too much, but hey... stop doing bad performances, Propdoggers... Start practising... It's not a good look...
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Though the trick is easy to do, it definitely needs some practise.

There are so many subtleties to make this super good, but I haven’t mentioned on my review because it will disclose the secret.

I haven’t watched Propdog’s performance but I am sure so many people will just jump into performances without digesting the effect first. Which is very bad for magic community these days

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
When I received my Insta Square I practice with it for one week straight about 2 to 3 hours a day and then when I feel comfortable I performed it as of this date I've performed it about 19 times now and each time it absolutely has floored my spectator and they had no idea how I did it especially with all the squares adding up to the number they chose. This is one of those effects if you do purchase it you will be very happy you did if you don't like the way it looks don't buy it that's fine either way but expect to get really good reactions if you do buy it practice it and then perform it.

Good magic to,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Guys I had a big show last night afterwards I did a little bit of walk around and I performed some pretty good effects on stage but the walk-around was fantastic I used Insta Square and I was able to pick up two more bookings from that. One of the show's I booked will be dealing with math students and I'm really looking forward to that.I have a number of effects that uses mathematics and I've been wanting to perform it for students of math for quite a while. I absolutely love Insta Square!

Good magic to all,

Eric
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Finally got this. I expected the animation to work like Martin’s other pads but it doesn’t. Much simpler with only one real moving part. So the handling is very easy and Martin’s genius really shines through with the design of these pads. Reset takes one second and the double cover aspect of the pad makes the necessary move easy and super deceptive. The math is super easy. You will have to practice the dirty work a bit to make it look smooth but nothing difficult. This is certainly a different type of effect and if you can get past the “does this really make sense” question that will be floating through your head, it’s a solid fooler.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2020, The great Gumbini wrote:
Guys I had a big show last night afterwards I did a little bit of walk around and I performed some pretty good effects on stage but the walk-around was fantastic

Good magic to all,

Eric

Isn’t it amazing that just over a week ago you could still do a big show. Strange times indeed.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Videoman! wow and to be honest with you that was only 9 days ago today it seems like it was about three weeks or a month ago to me because of all the stuff that's been going on that seems like a long long time ago you're right times have changed but fortunately and hopefully we'll get back on track soon stay safe my friend and to everyone out there be safe

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

And Eric I had a good feeling you would like this effect as well.it does make it a lot easier and when Martin first showed this to me I was a little confused because I noticed the placement of his hand was different I was expecting the same workings as well this is a winner for sure. Be safe out there.

Good magic to all,

Eric
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I do wish the moving part was better designed though. It’s pretty thick and very noticeable in my copy. Not a deal breaker because it’s only in view for a few seconds but given how far we’ve come in recent years with similar gimmicks, I wish this aspect had been better thought out to make it more deceptive
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2020, emyers99 wrote:
I do wish the moving part was better designed though. It’s pretty thick and very noticeable in my copy. Not a deal breaker because it’s only in view for a few seconds but given how far we’ve come in recent years with similar gimmicks, I wish this aspect had been better thought out to make it more deceptive

I do like this a lot but I also wish it could be shown with greater impunity similar to the previous versions. I also expected this to work like previous pads.
Still not sure why it couldn’t.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have this, and normally I like Martin Lewis' effects, but to be totally honest, this one has some serious faults. Maybe it is just my unit, but my gimmick doesn't look good in the initial "empty" view, and it doesn't "fully do it's thing" when making the magic happen. My gimmick v e r y s l o w l y shifts from blank to filled out. In fact, it doesn't fully operate on its own. I would have to pull it closed. Perhaps it is how it was made. I have a gimmick from Michael Chatelain that uses a similar principle, but the action of the magic moment is very quick and effective. Maybe something didn't get glued the way it should have been, but it is all internal, so I can't just fix it without destroying it. I'm not sure what to do. It would be a hassle to return it, but I can't use it as is.
KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Upon closer inspection, it looks like my unit doesn't have any elastic where it would be needed to make the gimmick work. Maybe I can work out something with the seller.
KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Apparently, mine was a rare manufacturing error. The dealer took care of me.

KJ
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I refrain from buying tricks that needs refills. If you do lots of bookings , this could be a very expensive trick.
Look at how many times (The great Gumbini) performed it.
Tricky Ricky
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Totally illogical.

Just because you can combine two different plots (in this case a magic square with writing appearing on a page), that’s not enough reason to do so. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

This is the sort of thing Michael Close would have had a field day with in his old MAGIC review column. It’s about as logical as combining the Phil name deck plot with an Omni Deck finish, just for the hell of it.

Totally illogical.

And even worse, it WEAKENS the strength of both plots if you join them together. There’s no space for the appearing writing to breathe because you then go into the magic square part, and the strength of the magic square part is totally killed because you’ve clearly done some sort of trick to get the numbers to appear. Just WRITING THEM is a better trick!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Insta Square by Martin Lewis (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL